Beating addictions

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited February 2014 in The cake stop
I have to confess my vice is cheese. :oops:

It a horrendous addiction that has left me broke and with chronic insomnia. I first realised I had a problem when I got my tongue caught in a mouse trap. Since then I have tried everything to get the monkey off my back. Everything from Kraft Singles stuck to my biceps to crack cocaine. But nothing satisfies me like a cheddar sandwich.

Does anyone have any advice for beating this debilitating illness? :cry:

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    What if your addiction is to masochism?
    Do you beat it?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    PBlakeney wrote:
    What if your addiction is to masochism?
    Do you beat it?

Depends what 'it' is I suppose.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Meat.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Meat.

You beat your meat :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The minister for health wanted to stamp out cheese at one time, but his colleagues told him he had to tread Caerphilly
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    earth wrote:
    I have to confess my vice is cheese. :oops:

It a horrendous addiction that has left me broke and with chronic insomnia. I first realised I had a problem when I got my tongue caught in a mouse trap. Since then I have tried everything to get the monkey off my back. Everything from Kraft Singles stuck to my biceps to crack cocaine. But nothing satisfies me like a cheddar sandwich.

Does anyone have any advice for beating this debilitating illness? :cry:
    I can't help you because I too am addicted to cheese, but so far I've refused all offers of help :mrgreen:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    I'm Capt Slog and I'm a cyclist.

It all started a couple of years ago. A mate was doing some spinning, just stationary like, and he said "go on, try it" and I thought "ok then, just this once, where's the harm?" so I did. And I sort of liked it.

Next thing I know I was spinning everyday, and soon just a few minutes wasn't enough and I went longer each time and then went looking for some harder resistance. I thought "it's ok, I can stop any time" but it wasn't like that, as soon as I stopped pedalling, the flywheel took hold of me legs. I started missing it when I didn't go on it for an evening, getting twitchy, you know?

Family were starting to notice, well you can't account for where you've been for the last hour and why you're so sweaty and shaking, can you? I tried to hide it but the signs were obvious; running up stairs two at a time and muscles appearing. They were starting to ask questions, but I denied it, it wasn't like I'd got a habit was it?

Then I went and bought my first hit. I managed to find a dealer online and some money changed hands in a back street in Leicester one evening. What I got was a bit rough and unrefined, but I didn't know what to look for. It was heavy man, and the first couple of goes with it made me feel a bit weird, I got the shakes and pains but I soon got used to it and just like the spinning I was always looking for a bit more.

I knew things might be getting out of hand when I got into the clothes. OK, I did some Lycra. I'm not proud of it and when I saw the look on my wife's face, I knew I'd let her down even though she laughed 'till bubbles came out of her nose.

I was thoroughly 'out' now. I kept buying better stuff; almost every week something new came to feed my habit and the spending was getting out of hand. It's an addiction and I say words like "segment" and "lead-out" which make no sense, I'm considering Sky Sport and I realise that I might have a problem.

I'm Capt Slog. I'm a cyclist. help me.

The older I get, the better I was.

• random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Capt Slog, you've come to the right place, you are among friends and recovering addicts. You have admitted your problem, which is the hard bit.
    I suggest you join a like-minded group who also understand. These can often be found on Sunday mornings wearing various grades of Lycra depending how hard their habit is.
    A good hard hit once a week may go some way to controlling your cravings.

BTW, medium cheddar and tomato sandwiches on wholemeal bread are definitely addictive :D
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    random man wrote:
    Capt Slog, you've come to the right place, you are among friends and recovering addicts. You have admitted your problem, which is the hard bit.
    I suggest you join a like-minded group who also understand. These can often be found on Sunday mornings wearing various grades of Lycra depending how hard their habit is.
    A good hard hit once a week may go some way to controlling your cravings.

BTW, medium cheddar and tomato sandwiches on wholemeal bread are definitely addictive :D
    Medium cheddar? :lol:

Be a man and get Mature, the stronger the better :twisted:
  • Giraffoto
    Cygnus wrote:

There's different grades of mature too - the stuff you can buy in supermarkets is distinctly immature besides some of the "24 month matured" and similar products that you occasionally find in farm shops in the West Country. There was one particularly strong grade I bought at a shop in Cheddar (where else?), but I've forgotten what it was called. True story.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Cygnus wrote:

There's different grades of mature too - the stuff you can buy in supermarkets is distinctly immature besides some of the "24 month matured" and similar products that you occasionally find in farm shops in the West Country. There was one particularly strong grade I bought at a shop in Cheddar (where else?), but I've forgotten what it was called. True story.

Prove it
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Addiction: Biscuits
    Cure: Don't have any in the house.
  • Giraffoto
    matthew h wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Cygnus wrote:

Prove it

I can't believe I haven't deserved a "Cool Story Bro!" with this. Anyway, it had a green label if that's good enough proof for you. And it was really strong.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Giraffoto wrote:
    Cygnus wrote:

Could have been Barbers 1833 Vintage. Very nice Cheddar.
  • I've had cheese so strong it was banned. buts thats just cos the cows i roll with