Cervelo S5

rudivoller22
rudivoller22 Posts: 492
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Anyone got one who can comment on ride quality over longer distances? Had a fit and sizing is great, great on a short test ride but obviously no shop will let me do a century ride on it!
Thanks

Comments

• domc21
    domc21 Posts: 86
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -12-46851/

Seems like its a very stiff bike from reviews on the web....
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I love mine! Just the base model built up with a mixture of Red and Force with either Cosmics or Planet X carbon tubs.

Definitely less comfortable over distance than the R5 but it's a really fun bike to ride - really encourages you to thrash it. Maybe that's the stiff back end or maybe just my imagination but it's my go-to bike if I'm intending to go out for shorter ride.

I've done (metric) centuries on it many times and it isn't actually that uncomfortable while you're on the ride (too much else to think about I guess) but when you get back you know you've been out riding...
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Any bike will be suitable for a century, its just a matter of getting used to it.
    Do you think Canvendish gets off his Bike at the end of a 160k race and thinks 'wow, what a stiff ride' ?
  • meesterbond
    dwanes wrote:
    Do you think Canvendish gets off his Bike at the end of a 160k race and thinks 'wow, what a stiff ride' ?

No, I don't imagine Canvendish [sic] does, but I'd imagine the Garmin Sharp team give it some thought when deciding whether they ride the S5 or R5 / RCA at a Grand Tour. Given that most choose the 'R' bikes over the more aero 'S' bikes I imagine comfort is a consideration.

If you're buying a bike for a specific purpose you might as well pick the one that's best suited to it.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    dwanes wrote:

No, I don't imagine Canvendish [sic] does, but I'd imagine the Garmin Sharp team give it some thought when deciding whether they ride the S5 or R5 / RCA at a Grand Tour. Given that most choose the 'R' bikes over the more aero 'S' bikes I imagine comfort is a consideration.

If you're buying a bike for a specific purpose you might as well pick the one that's best suited to it.
    I noticed that Dave Millar was on an S3 the other day. He tends to favour the S5 even on mountain stages. AFAIK the geometries are identical between S and R series and there have been studies calculating the wattage benefits of the aero frame vs the R series which basically conclude that you need to be going up Ventoux at 12mph before realising any gain!

Personally I like the look of both bikes, event he new S2 looks nice but i would want to ride them before making such a purchase
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    It will be fine. All the publications say that the Foil is one of the stiffest and most punishing frames on the market, but I find it very comfortable. My longest single ride on it was just shy of 400 miles and I've done a few 600+ mile weeks on it, including on in Majorca using a full carbon saddle with no padding and tubs pumped up to 150psi. If you notice it's not as compliant as you like on the longer stuff then just run 25mm tyres at lower pressure.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Thanks that is really helpful. Going to have another test ride tomorrow. Got a good deal on one making it cheaper than an R3 with much lower spec.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    dwanes wrote:
    Any bike will be suitable for a century, its just a matter of getting used to it.

This ^^^^^

And looking at my S5 the chances of using 25mm tyres is zero.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • According to Cervelo it will take 25s. Does look tight though. That may put me off actually. Got 25s on all my wheels at the moment.
  • upperoilcan
    According to Cervelo it will take 25s. Does look tight though. That may put me off actually. Got 25s on all my wheels at the moment.

Surprising ! I would be checking with them which makes are able to fit as I'm assuming few will but many will not.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Yep will go back and ask. I know from experience that GP4000s 25s are narrower than some others so it may be trial end error. Doesn't look like there will be a lot of room to play with on the back end. Front should fit 25 easier though from looking at it online (for what use that is!)

Never used 23s is it massively different to 25s? Damn I'd made my decision now I'm dithering again!
  • upperoilcan
    Lol ! I'm using 23mm Mavics on mine and they're fine,I also have another set of wheels with Vittoria Slicks 23c and they are really tight on the back.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • meesterbond
    I'm using 23mm Conti GrandPrix 4000s and the clearance is pretty tight at the back.

58e8880fa548d9ba093bf2680dec4ee4.jpg

Better at the front but not masses or room...

03d3f1ed9ffd37f1cc235573dcb6ac2f.jpg
  • Thanks for that. does look tight.

Cervelo say it will take some but not all 25s. Didn't tell me which ones though!

My GP4000s seem to sit a lot higher than my rubinos. I guess wider rim wheels would also help. But guess I would have to get rid of the 25s if i do go for the S5.
  • Ok rode the S5 again today and also the R3. Both fitted well and felt good to ride.
    Lbs will do 2013 s5 with ultegra 6700 for same price as a 2014 R3 105 but upgraded to Ultegra.

Given my riding will be a mix of triathlon, club rides and this year an ironman I would be grateful for anyone who has experience of either both who could help me make the decision as I'm literally going round in circles!!

Having looked at the S5 again and spoken to mechanic today it clearly won't take a 25 tyre!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    If you're serious about the IM then you'll get the S5.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • upperoilcan
    Grill wrote:
    If you're serious about the IM then you'll get the S5.

This.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Yep you're probably right. Just need to get over not being able to use 25s!
  • Have an S5 VWD - I have ridden over 100 miles and plenty of metric centuries on it and I don't think its uncomfortable. Also have an R3 - slightly more comfortable and a bit lighter. It is better for climbing places like Mnt Ventoux, but by and large the S5 is faster and a compact rather than the standard on my S5 would make it fine on long climbs as well. S5 is a fast bike.

I use 23mm Ultremo ZX on the S5 but think 25mm would work with the newer deeper section wheels which tend to be wider.
  • I have one and have done around 5000 miles on it. It's a great bike and feels really quick, great for short rides and fine for all day rides. Defiantly won't get a 25mm tyre on it.
  • Thanks for all the replies. Consensus seems to be S5. What tyres do you run? I usually use GP4000s but I read somewhere they are quite high and even the 23s are pretty tight on the S5
  • meesterbond
    Thanks for all the replies. Consensus seems to be S5. What tyres do you run? I usually use GP4000s but I read somewhere they are quite high and even the 23s are pretty tight on the S5

Apparently 23mm gp4000s come up more like 24mm. Don't have any calipers so can't check. Whilst they look really tight I've never had any issues. The Cosmics are pretty narrow too which can't help.

For a Tri bike it's about as good as you'll get from a road bike. I TTd on mine all last season. The only issue was getting low enough at the front as it is a bit higher than many aero road bikes. Look for clip-ins that put the extensions below the handlebar if you can.

Check out TriRig's project liberty for what's possible if you take it to the extreme.
  • I've always run 4000s on mine. One thing I did with mine was cut a piece of helicopter tape about 20mm and put it on the curve on the cut out on the frame, this stops anything cutting the frame. I did see on the cervelo forum a guy put some big tyres on his and it damaged the frame. I've never had any problems with the cutout tho, I was on mine today on some bad roads and nothing gets into it. Fantastic bikes.
  • I've always run 4000s on mine. One thing I did with mine was cut a piece of helicopter tape about 20mm and put it on the curve on the cut out on the frame, this stops anything cutting the frame. I did see on the cervelo forum a guy put some big tyres on his and it damaged the frame. I've never had any problems with the cutout tho, I was on mine today on some bad roads and nothing gets into it. Fantastic bikes.

Thanks that's a good idea with the helicopter tape. Pick up the bike tomorrow - can't wait to take it for a spin.
  • Enjoy !