Mavic & Carnac shoe sizing?

Jamie2007
Jamie2007 Posts: 31
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Can anyone help me with how each of these compare?

I am UK size 9 shoe, quite wide foot.

Current Bontrager RXL is EU 43 size but Giro Prolight SLX is definitely one up at EU 44. I can get Carnac at good prices and Mavic too but how do they compare?
To me the Carnac looks like quite a big toe box whereas the Mavic look a bit slimmer.

Any wisdom gratefully received!

Comments

• I've got no experience of Carnac but I can tell you that my Mavic Furys are narrow, so if you have hobbit feet they won't be for you.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • Thanks Ride, not quite as hairy as Hobbits but they are certainly on the wider side!!
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I'm an 8/42. In Mavics I'm in 43 1/3 size - a little room but my feet are quite slim. I had some Carnacs that were fabulous. Right-sized as well, iirc. Think they've gone out of business now though, which might explain why you can get a good deal.
  • Thanks for that Me-109, Mavics are quite a bit smaller then. What type have you got?

I thought the Carnacs looked quite 'roomy' & I see where the good prices at Planet X are coming from now, ta.
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    The Mavics do come up small, I'm a similar size/shape to what you describe. I've a set of 43 Northwaves that are just about ok but generally ride a 44. In the Mavic I came up 45 and a bit (they've odd sizing), tried them in a shop and really happy I went with them, very comfy and while they arn't as stiff as the Northwaves it doesn't seem to matter out on the road. Can't remember the name but they're the ones that retail at £100 and are prob available on line for less.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Jamie2007 wrote:
    Thanks for that Me-109, Mavics are quite a bit smaller then. What type have you got?

I thought the Carnacs looked quite 'roomy' & I see where the good prices at Planet X are coming from now, ta.
    I've got the Avenirs, about £85 from Evans. Comfy as slippers when you get the right size. Think the shoes might be sold under a different model name now; not sure.
  • Defride & Me-109, thanks again for the info. I'll see what I can do regarding trying on the Mavics anyway... the Carnacs? If I order them I'll just have to take my chances.