Grand on C2W/CyclePlus for a road bike

MrGrumpy
MrGrumpy Posts: 288
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi looking. to buy a new road bike, C2W is now a grand to spend, so in that ballpark. Unfortunately Planet X and Ribble etc are not an option, really has to be a bricks and mortar type shops and not those whom charge an extra 10-12% for using Cycle Plus and C2W vouchers.

At this price point probably an Aluminium frame and 105 groupset I would hope ?? Been looking at Cube Peleton, Madone 2.1 and maybe the Defy although my current Giant SCR2 is just a Defy updated and to be honest its a bit uninspiring. I ride a Langster over winter etc, so like the racier setup. Any others I`m maybe missing ? Did think originally about the Boardman Carbon bike from Halfords but the Tiagra shifters just put me right off.

Comments

• Look at the Dolan L'etape. I go that through the Halfords cycle scheme.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Planet X is a 'bricks and mortar type shop' as is Dolan. In fact Planet X has two shops.
  • MrGrumpy
    Aye but nowhere near me !! Also they charge extra for using the the C2W vouchers. Hmm Dolan sounds interesting?

Just looking at the etape, very interesting indeed and you can get that via Halfords ?? Might just plump for that!

Ok point taken, just unsure how easy it is to order with the vouchers and the extra charges inc as well. Hence reluctant to use them however, have sent a query to Dolan to ask for total costs.
  • diamonddog
    I have never seen Dolan on sale in any Halfords local to me and there are several, although I could be wrong.
    It could be worth talking to them all to get the best bang for your hard earned.
  • I had a Madone 2.1, didn't really like it, too harsh and twitchy. Although if I had £1,000 to spend again I might look at the Domane 2.0
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Why not get one of Chris Hoy's bikes from Evans? They look very nice in the flesh and are decent value.
  • There is a back end to the Halfords C2W scheme that you can often get them to source bikes they do not carry - like Dolan, possibly Ribble. My employers use Halfords, but I could get something not carried by Halfords IYSWIM.

Also the comments about shops that charge an admin charge - AIUI many of the cycle to work schemes mean the retailer does not get the full ticket price to help the scheme administrator cover costs. If said retailer is running to tight margins, and many of the low price dealers mentioned will fall into that category, then they may well lose money on a C2W deal. Add in the charge, look at what you get for your money. If you like the Dolan Etape for example and are getting a good deal even after an admin charge, what's the problem? Declining a good deal on the bike you want simply because of an admin charge would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • diamonddog wrote:
    I have never seen Dolan on sale in any Halfords local to me and there are several, although I could be wrong.
    It could be worth talking to them all to get the best bang for your hard earned.

On the halfords cycle to works scheme they will source bikes for you from most of the big brands, they dont have to be sold by halfords in their stores. If you check my old posts I posted an email I got from Halfords listing all the brands I could get, including Dolan.
  • diamonddog
    Understand now. :)
  • MrGrumpy
    £50 is not too bad,Planet X want nearly £120 extra. Anyway will phone up both Cycleplus and C2W and see what my options are, if I can order from other places then it does open up options for me like the Dolan. Would be nice to get a nice carbon framed bike. Although reckon I will be giving up groupset and wheel options.