Wireless computers vs. flashing LEDs

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited February 2014 in Road general
I used to use a cheapo Chinese wireless computer but found it went haywire when I switched my LED lights to flashing mode. In the end I replaced it with a wired VDO computer, which worked fine.

I'm now thinking of neatening things up a bit and going back to wireless but I'm wary of interference from the lights again. Is this a fault of the cheaper computers or is it unavoidable regardless of budget/quality?

Yes, I already have a Garmin but don't want to be using that all the time.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    rodgers73 wrote:
    :?:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    My cateye wireless suffers from the same problem when my cateye light is on flashing mode. It's fixed by keeping them 4/5 inches apart.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Just use lights with metal bodies (I used Raleigh RSP Asteris) - no interference.

Incidentally, my first computer was a cheap wireless one from Lidl. Eventually I upgraded to a VDO which was, case design aside, vastly inferior (in function and build quality) to the Lidl computer!

Mind you, I can't understand anyone who owns a Garmin wanting to go back to a traditional computer. You can get Bryton 20 for less than £60 if you look around and they use the same mount as Garmin so you don't even need to swap that over.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • smidsy wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

:?: :?: :?: Why woud you not want to use it all the time?
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    smidsy wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

praps it's a special occasion Garmin? Come on rodgers explain please, I'm really worried now as I use mine all the time :o
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    smidsy wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

praps it's a special occasion Garmin? Come on rodgers explain please, I'm really worried now as I use mine all the time :o

It is one of the more bizarre things I've read on here and that's saying something :wink:

Maybe Garmins are a bit like carbon frames and melt in the rain :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rodgers73
    Because -

1. It's an old Edge 705 that I bought 2nd hand for £100 and I don't want to wear the battery out (which I suspect may be a bit tired anyway) by constant use when the stats for a lot of my rides don't really mean much to me. I like to know my speed generally but I don't need the sort of detail a Garmin gives you for every ride.

AND

2. My preferred type of ride is one that would last longer than the battery in my Garmin would on a single charge, so a non-GPS device is more useful for me really, given that I'm mainly interested in distance and speed only.

3. For me the Garmin is mainly for navigation when I don't want to have to be stopping to look at my map every five mins (e.g. when making my way through a town or city rather than taking the ring road) or for uploading Strava stuff for my local loop
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The Garmin is rechargeable and battery life lasts for hours on end. My old 705 was still going strong after 12 hours when I forgot to switch it off after a ride. I can't imagine there will be anything the Chinese device can do that the Garmin can't? You don't have to use all the features of the Garmin during a ride; just select the screen you want to view from the menu.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rodgers73
    Some of my rides have lasted 25hrs. Garmin batteries are meant to last 16-17 hours.

The chinese device was just a wireless computer showing trip distance and speed.
  • rodgers73
    Would this same problem occur with a wireless computer that used digital rather than analogue transmission? Wondering if this is the root of the problem