velobuild.com - wheels

gattocattivo
gattocattivo Posts: 500
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I was toying with the idea of upgrading my rather basic wheels (Mavic Aksium), but can't really afford anything fancy. I thought about getting Ksyriums at about double the cost, but from reading the spec they didn't really sound much better. Last night a clubmate told me about the velobuild website, which (as far as I understand, which isn't very far) appears to be some kind of forum that gets bulk purchase discounts from China. So in theory I could spend about £400 and get carbon wheels that should cost over a thousand.

Is this too good to be true?
Has anyone used this? Are they reliable? Is the quality as good as it should be?
What is the benefit of getting deeper section rims?
Will brake blocks designed for carbon rims (it recommends SwissStop yellow) work with alloy rims (i.e. if I swap my old wheels back in)?

Comments

• I used Velobuild a couple of years ago, to buy some 38mm carbon clinchers. I can't fault the guys at Velo, very helpful. The deal was with Far Sports and these guys were also super helpful. The whole process from order to receipt of wheels was about 4 weeks. I paid around £400 for the wheels, including import duties and delivery. If I recall, the raw weight of the wheels was around 1200gr and fully kitted out with cassette, tubes and tyres with skewers, they weigh just over 2kg.

I know there is a lot of negative press around the use of carbon wheels, but I've use mine for 2 seasons, around 1k miles and they still run straight, true and smooth (I do only use them in good weather though).

I am using the equivalent of Swissstop Blue brake pads and have had no problem stopping. Best to use carbon specific pads.

If you don't want to wait for a group buy deal, you could approach the manufacturer directly, and ask for a quote for the wheels you are interested in. Alternatively, look at the 'bay for the wheels you are looking for - lots of Asian manufacturers are selling there.

Good luck
  • kwozzymodo wrote:
    I know there is a lot of negative press around the use of carbon wheels, but I've use mine for 2 seasons, around 1k miles and they still run straight, true and smooth (I do only use them in good weather though).

That's the reality of it... in 2 seasons my wheels probably do twelve times that amount. So you are right, if you want to wait for that dozen of perfect days we are blessed with in summer when you can use your upgrade, then cool, carbon is for you... while if you actually want to buy something to use it a little bit more often without worrying too much, there are better ways to spend 400 pounds.

If you look in the classified section you will find barely used carbon wheels on a daily basis and that's the reality of it... many people buy them and don't use them
    left the forum March 2023
  • I have just bought a set of Shimano RS81 wheels for £350. Can't really knock them! Not sure they are a huge huge upgrade over Aksium though.
    Aran
  • thanks for the responses
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Planet X CT45's are only a little more expensive if that's what you want.