Best GPS Computer

dizarch
dizarch Posts: 152
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I've been using my i-phone 4 and Map My Ride but want to step up to something with a battery that lasts more than a nanosecond when the GPS tracking is open during the ride.

The cycle computer market is awash with options so if money wasn't too much of a problem, which one would you good folk recommend from experience?

Thanks in advance.
Getting older and wanting to go further

Strava: http://www.strava.com/athletes/4664961

Twitter: @miles505050

Comments

• DizArch wrote:
    I've been using my i-phone 4 and Map My Ride but want to step up to something with a battery that lasts more than a nanosecond when the GPS tracking is open during the ride.

The cycle computer market is awash with options so if money wasn't too much of a problem, which one would you good folk recommend from experience?

Thanks in advance.

Just navigation the etrex 20 or 30. For bike related additional stuff garmin 800 or 810.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    The Garmin 810 is probably the best currently available for following routes you have mapped out on eg Garmin or MapMyRide and downloaded. I still carry my iphone with me for occasional GoogleMaps overview of where I am if the Garmin crashes. The Garmin manuals are pretty terrible albeit there is quite a lot of info available on line. I have found the out front mounts are much easier to keep an eye on than the traditional stem mounts.

Peter
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    If money isn't too much of a problem, buy an 800 or 810.

If money is a problem, save up a bit and buy an 800 or 810.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Depends what you want to use it for.
    Do you want/need the following?:
    - HR monitor
    - non-GPS speed sensor (more accurate)
    - cadence sensor
    - power sensor
    - running computer
    - swim computer
    - street navigation

I'm only really familiar with Garmin. The Edge 500 isn't terribly expensive (not cheap either!) and does most things on the bike besides navigation.
    If you do more than one sport there's multisport watches like the Forerunner 910XT that I use which you switch between your wrist and the bike mount as needed and does everything the Edge 500 does and more.
    If you want street navigation then Garmin do the 800/810 models and at the other end of the price range there are simpler models that are more limited but may meet your requirements.
    Most computers and watches use ANT+ to communicate with accessories like heart rate monitors, speed/cadence sensors, power meters, etc... but some brands use bluetooth or other systems.

Have a look at http://www.dcrainmaker.com for the best reviews I've seen for most bike computers and multisport watches.
  • dizarch
    Bar Shaker wrote:

How can anybody argue with that kind of logic:-) I'm veering towards the 800, bluetooth connectivity of the 810 doesn't do a lot for me, I don't want my wife to know where I am do I?

• dizarch
    Thanks everybody. I think the Garmin 800 is the solution so that's where I'm headed. Your advice is much appreciated:-)

Ali

• Bar Shaker wrote:

What he said.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    definitely Garmin with performance bundle leads the field
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    DizArch wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I find in life, if money isn't too much of a problem the most expensive is usually the best! the benefit per pound gets less the more expensive but taking that out of the equation get the most expensive!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Chris Bass wrote:
    DizArch wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I find in life, if money isn't too much of a problem the most expensive is usually the best! the benefit per pound gets less the more expensive but taking that out of the equation get the most expensive!
    The most expensive is usually the most prestigious but that's not always the same thing. Sometimes all you're paying for is bling not function and personally I have no time for that.
    The main thing though, is that "best" is dependent on needs. Is a bigger, heavier, more expensive computer with a dizzying array of functions better than a small, light, cheap one that has all the functions you'll actually use? Don't pay for extras if you won't use them.