Please recommend new forks for my Giant Trance

dave1294
dave1294 Posts: 46
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I currently own this Giant Trance x3

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p4943/GIANT-TRANCE-X3-2013

However, I have since changed the wheels and hubs and now using Shimano Deore XT hubs.

I was looking to upgrade the forks at some point and thought that I would enjoy 140mm and air rather than spring.

I'm not too worried about the brand.

Any suggestions would be great and much appreciated!

Thanks
Dave

Comments

• From looking around on the web probably in the region of £300-£400.

Would this get me something that is in line with the rest of the bikes ability?
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Should be able to get a RS Revelation for that price in the sales.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    X Fusion Velvet?
  • Thanks.
  • mali01
    mali01 Posts: 81
    Im running a Sektor on my Trance x3 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rock ... lsrc=aw.ds

My wife runs a X-fusion velvet on her bike and they feel completely different the Velvet is more progressive in feel and the Sektor very linear. The Velvet is stiffer than my Sektor. Both are great forks but the spares availability is what would swing it for me.
  • mali01 wrote:
    Im running a Sektor on my Trance x3 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rock ... lsrc=aw.ds

My wife runs a X-fusion velvet on her bike and they feel completely different the Velvet is more progressive in feel and the Sektor very linear. The Velvet is stiffer than my Sektor. Both are great forks but the spares availability is what would swing it for me.

Thanks for your input. Its useful that you have compared the two. :idea:
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    X Fusion Velvet?

They came second only to the Pike (and at half the price) in this month's What Mountain Bike fork round up. And it got the same number of stars, 4.5, as the Pike. Sounds like the absolute steal of the group. And more than enough for the OP's needs.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would probably go for a Revelation dropped to 140mm. I had a 140mm Pike (old style) on my Trance and it was great fun.
    I would suggest getting a fork with travel adjustment, the front can get light and wander on climbs with a 140mm fork.
  • Kowalski675
    X Fusion Velvet?

They came second only to the Pike (and at half the price) in this month's What Mountain Bike fork round up.

Indeed they did - bought it in Tesco on Monday. Heard good things about them in other write ups previously too.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Does the bike have the Giant Overdrive system?
  • rockmonkeysc
    I think Overdrive 2 was only on the Trance 275. Older 26" and 29" had the old overdrive which was just Giants name for a standard tapered head tube.
    Overdrive 2 is a stupid idea.
  • Kowalski675
    supersonic wrote:
    Does the bike have the Giant Overdrive system?

No, not on the X3 - it's a standard tapered steerer.
  • That's right tapered steerer.

Both seem to be getting good reviews. I'm not quite sure what is going to convince me either way, though.

Am I right in thinking that a bit of front end wandering up hill is expected with such a setup?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Possibly, it certainly won't make it better. But 20mm is not too much.

I'd be looking at the Revelation or Sektor RL Solo Air.
  • Cheers.

Time to start looking for a bargain!
  • Pardon my ignorance, but what does "progressive" mean when applied to a suspension fork?

Does it mean it get's harder to compress as you go through the travel? Or the opposite?
  • My understanding is that you need more force to compress the shock as you get to the end of its travel (progressive), as opposed to the same amount of force throughout (linear).

I think in practice this means you soak up the little fast bumps easily but don't bottom out every time you land.

Please correct me if this is rubbish.
  • rockmonkeysc
    dave1294 wrote:
    Am I right in thinking that a bit of front end wandering up hill is expected with such a setup?

I found it a problem on my Trance with a 140mm fork. Its worth going for travel adjustment.
  • Kowalski675
    dave1294 wrote:
    My understanding is that you need more force to compress the shock as you get to the end of its travel (progressive), as opposed to the same amount of force throughout (linear).

I think in practice this means you soak up the little fast bumps easily but don't bottom out every time you land.

Please correct me if this is rubbish.

No correction needed. You have it, in a nutshell.
  • I was looking at buying this for my 2011 Trance X3: http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Fox-32-Float ... 8-0-0.html

They were in stock when I last checked a few weeks ago. Cheapest new Fox fork you will get by far, and is CTD too. I wouldnt reccomend going above 140mm.

If you are considering buying used, my Trance fork steerer tube length is 205mm. I never found used forks with a steerer length that long.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    its that price because its pants - 2013 floats have far too linear springs in them
  • rockmonkeysc
    POAH wrote:
    its that price because its pants - 2013 floats have far too linear springs in them

And they are very unreliable
  • I have a 2011 trance x4 which came with the same fork specced on your 2013 x3.

I went with this. The damping diffrence is huge and now im getting full travel which was a problem with coil fork.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fox- ... -prod90169

10% off with the code but you would need a hub which can take a 15mm thru axel. Decided against a 140mm fork because I was having problems weighting the front end on steep climbs witha 120mm.

Just my experiences.
  • Thanks for the further input.

I think that I'm okay with the uphill sacrifice for the extra travel on the way back down. At the moment I'm looking at the sektor as I can stay within budget for a decent hub and fitting costs.