Grip shift

Wily-Quixote
Wily-Quixote Posts: 269
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
I have a bike equipped with sram xx. i can't say that i am enjoying the experience after using shimano on my last couple of MTBs. I've had gripshift in the 90's and am thinking of converting the sram shifters.

Would sram xo gripshift be a suitable replacement/ or would i bebetter off with sram xx gripshift (ie is the difference cosmetic or tangible).

If anyone still uses gripshift these days i'd be pleased to know.

Comments

• miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    I run x0 gripshift on both my bikes, 10sp on the fs and 9sp on the ht... A mate of mine has a 10sp xx setup which i've tried and personally didn't notice any difference, performance, function or otherwise between that and my 10sp x0... I think the only benefit is a small weight saving.

If you're trying to say every single gram possible then maybe yes, but otherwise no I don't think they're worth the additional money, I'd stick with x0 and spend the saved money elsewhere.

Do you have xx mechs on the bike?
  • miceden wrote:

Do you have xx mechs on the bike?

x9 front derailleur and XO rear. X9 shifters that I just can't get used to...
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    X0 grip shift will work fine with those mechs... Planet X I think are selling them for a goop price.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'm confused:
    I have a bike equipped with sram xx.
    x9 front derailleur and XO rear. X9 shifters

XX, or X.9/X.0?!

Either way, as long as you get 10 speed RH shifter you'll be fine. The 10 speed LH ones are indexed - they have 2 clicks, as opposed to the 9 speed ones which had 8, so you could trim the front mech. That's about it.

I've just gone for 11 speed Grip Shift having not used it since 9 speed, always liked the X.0 9 speed ones!
  • njee20 wrote:
    I'm confused:
    I have a bike equipped with sram xx.
    x9 front derailleur and XO rear. X9 shifters

XX, or X.9/X.0?!

My mistake, i had thought that XX was generic SRAM speak for their 10 speed MTB gruppo (I am more used to shimano nomenclature).

Anyway, it is a 10 speed and it sounds like the gripshift will fit nicely, thanks for the input.

cheers,

wily
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Nay, XX is their top of the line (and original) 10 speed groupset.

But yes, any 10 speed Grip Shift will work, with a 9 speed LH one if you want to retain the 'trim' feature, but the grips feel quite different - 10 speed ones are longer.