Loose bottle mounts on a used bike

matudavey
matudavey Posts: 108
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Recently purchased an expensive bike on eBay for a reasonable price.

Frame described as having only cosmetic scratches.

Arrived today, but upon a more detailed inspection have found the seat tube bottle mounts have come loose.
The lower is loose and the upper has been messily glued in.
I bought the bike mainly to split and keep only the frame.

Would you be trying to return it ('item not as described') or make a neat job of it and accept this as annoying but a lesson learned!?

Comments

• Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    seat tube bottle mounts have come loose.

You mean the screws?

Try using a screw driver on them? :shock:
  • Moonbiker wrote:
    seat tube bottle mounts have come loose.

You mean the screws?

Try using a screw driver on them? :shock:

Of course not!

The bottle mount bosses that the cage bolts locate into.

These: (not my bike) http://barndoorcycling.files.wordpress. ... g_2125.jpg
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Was this an ebay purchase?

I'd be looking to get the seller to pay for putting it right to avoid the cost an aggro of you returning it. The seller knew and hasnt been 100% honest.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Drill them out and replace them. They are only rivnuts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:

That was the other question - I've got a rivnut tool, but haven't used it on bikes before.
    Would you rivnut a carbon frame? I was searching for a thread on here - I'm sure there must have been one!?

I can imagine drilling it out won't be easy on the one that rotates..
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    edited February 2014
    matudavey wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

That was the other question - I've got a rivnut tool, but haven't used it on bikes before.
    Would you rivnut a carbon frame? I was searching for a thread on here - I'm sure there must have been one!?

I would try to pull the nutsert up first. Its always worth a try with loose fittings. Sometimes works sometimes doesn't.
    But much easier than drilling, replacing etc.

If you do replace the nutserts be sure to get aluminium ones as opposed to steel. As I am sure you know the pull up force is a lot less.
    If you need a couple let me know as I have some spare having fitted them to various frames.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    freezing77 wrote:
    matudavey wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

I would try to pull the nutsert up first. Its always worth a try with loose fittings. Sometimes works sometimes doesn't.
    But much easier than drilling, replacing etc.

http://home.btconnect.com/astro-site/pulling_rivnuts.htm

For those without the correct tool.

Yep. If you've got the tool and you're appropriately gentle with it then you can probably get them to nip up nicely. Chances are they were originally fitted against a hanging burr that's now fallen off.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    matudavey wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

If you have a rivnut tool even better. Use it.

Only drill out when it is stripped so you can shake the threaded bit out of the BB or head tube. Most likely the head tube as carbon frame, but it all depends on the construction.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Mine came loose on my Pinarello carbon frame. Bought a rivnut tool from my local engineering supplies shop and a few rivnuts, but tried just tightening the loose ones first using the tool and they pulled up nice and tight and have not come loose again. Well worth the tenner or so that the tool cost.

PP