De Rosa Idol 2009

Jabbertaff
Jabbertaff Posts: 10
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I have been offered a 2009 De Rosa Idol full carbon road bike, I can't find too much info about this particular bike, can any one offer me a suggested price of what it's worth please?

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Too many variables.

Groupset & wheelset will dictate a great deal on the price front too - as will overall condition/mileage.

How much is owner wanting?
  • £1500 supposed to of had £850 worth of new wheels, will know more details tomorrow as for specs
  • nochekmate
    He will do very well indeed to get £1500 for a five year old bike irrespective of the £850 wheels (interested to know full spec). The £850 is probably RRP as well.
  • bit more info, its got campagnolo Chorus gear train and brakes, deda handle bars and fulcrum racing 1 wheels.

Not sure what its worth and would appreciated any advice.

Regards

Martyn
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    First consideration should be is the bike the right size for you? A bike that's too big or too small isn't a bargain regardless of the price. And looking at images of it on the web it seems to have an integrated seat mast, so if it's been cut down too far for you there's nothing you can do about it.

If the bike's had 5 years of hard riding then the drivetrain could be pretty worn by now. New Chorus chainrings, chain and cassette would be quite pricy. On the other hand the original owner might have done low mileage and maintained it religiously; hard to tell from here.

And a brand new pair of 2014 Fulcrum racing 1's (ie with a warranty) are £600 on Wiggle, probably cheaper from Germany. You won't know how old these are without a receipt, and even then unless it was a couple of weeks ago, you won't know how many miles / how much braking they've done. Rim wear is quite hard to determine without taking the tyres off, and if you do wear out a rim they can be difficult and expensive to obtain.

Best to find another knowledgeable cyclist to take a look at it with you. Or nip it into a bike shop and ask them to give it a quick looking at.
  • nochekmate
    ^^^ As he said.

Would have to be absolutely tip-top condition to justify the price tag of £1500 for me.