Suntour XCT fork issues

Cookeh
Cookeh Posts: 351
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening chaps,

My commuter (a Rockrider 5.2) is getting on for two years old now, and takes a bit of beating as at Uni there are no enclosed storage facilities. I keep the drivetrain clean and lubed, and keep the fork stanchions clean but the fork seems to be developing some issues that I'm struggling to identify.

The fork itself is a Suntour XCT made specifically for B'Twin and the Rockrider series, with 70mm of travel, preload adjustment but of course no damping. The right stanchion seems to have brown 'stains' on it after riding, particularly if the fork has been compressed a few times - which leads me to think the seals may have gone? The stains do rub off when I clean off the stanchions.

It's also become a lot stiffer over recent weeks/months, requiring a lot of effort to actually compress - and Ive not touched preload settings.

Any ideas of the issues? Is it worth taking it apart and rebuilding or even taking for a service? The bike itself only cost me £200 new and I only use it for a 3m commute 6-7 times a week.

Thanks guys!

Comments