Wind gusts

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
Weather forecast is showing 50mph gusts in London, is that safe to cycle in!?

Comments

• If it's a cross wind, not really, no.

Not particularly looking forward to the ride home this evening.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Sewinman
    So are you going to cycle SW Greg? There are trees down on the Twickenham train line, so really want to cycle.
  • i'll let you know when i leave in 30 mins - if i survive, because i live on the thames estuary the winds are stronger that here
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • Sewinman wrote:
    So are you going to cycle SW Greg? There are trees down on the Twickenham train line, so really want to cycle.

'Fraid so. Though not as far as Twickenham, thank feck.

Probably won't be able to leave until it is dark, either, which adds a nice spice to the mixture.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    I'll be taking it slowly and using a slightly different route (Battersea Park & Lotts Road).

Should be fine - just stay aero.
  • talius
    talius Posts: 282
    London-Red wrote:
    I'll be taking it slowly and using a slightly different route (Battersea Park & Lotts Road).

Will see what it's like along the river, but that's my plan - back roads where possible, take it slow, probably take the Chelsea pavé for its full stretch.
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,356
    It seems to have brightened up a lot over here in the badlands of Feltham. I'll be riding home though I'm not sure if I'll go through the middle of Bushy Park or skirt round the edges. It's wide open in the middle, but I'm not sure that using the trees for shelter round the edge would be sensible. Last Wednesday I got blown a few feet onto the grass by a strong gust, then stopped to offer assistance to a woman pushing her bike and she told me she was alright it was just so windy she'd nearly been blown off.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Blown off on Bushy Park? I can think of worse things.

Normal route home, including through the middle of Bushy Park, as it's the only route I know.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,750
    Hmmm, Millbank/VB is going to be interesting. Must remember that gust that comes through a gap just after the lights.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Millbank was the most dangerous going from Vauxhall bridge to city strong side winds around there otherwise it wasn't to bad, the only thing to look out for is the debris loads of it on the roads
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • london-red
    I've also got hill repeats in RP to look forward to :shock: :D
  • London-Red wrote:
    I've also got hill repeats in RP to look forward to :shock: :D

MTFU and prepare to fly :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Talius wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

Will see what it's like along the river, but that's my plan - back roads where possible, take it slow, probably take the Chelsea pavé for its full stretch.
    This. The Monday before Christmas was the worst I've experienced on the bike and this was the approach, plus getting low and slow. Oh, and that gap after VB lights could be vicious, watch out for other people getting blown into you!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,356
    Not too bad, although I suspect Asprilla had quite a headwind approaching Diana's ring.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I missed out on an amazing tailwind on a segment I've been chasing, too much queueing traffic because of the Tottenham game.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Sewinman
    Bit of an anti-climax! Bit gusty but nothing too scary!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Not too bad, although I suspect Asprilla had quite a headwind approaching Diana's ring.

Was kinda disappointing really.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Sewinman wrote:
    Weather forecast is showing 50mph gusts in London, is that safe to cycle in!?

Yeah, pips. Up in my neck of the woods (Lancashire coast) we've got a red warning, and gusts up to 100mph. I made it home OK.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • london-red
    Completely overblown.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    max 40 mph gust 85 mph here down from 97 do i win a prize? :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I had to ride up Muswell Hill into a head/cross wind and rain yesterday. The gusts and debris meant my line was erratic and unpredictable. Not fun.

I also decended Colney Hatch Lane in the same conditions but with the added bonus of drops of oil on the road and a numpty in a BMW way too close to my back wheel. After nearly coming off on diesel last week, I felt more nervous about the oil than I used to so was going slower than I usually would have, and the fear of coming off and going under the wheels of the BMW meant I went even slower.
    Mr BMW eventually blasted past me straight into a massive queue of traffic. Being slowed by me only delayed him getting stuck in the jam.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • talius
    talius Posts: 282
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    and a numpty in a BMW way too close to my back wheel.

Had a pr1ck in a Merc Viano taxi do the same to me through Tower Hill yesterday evening. Really not amused. I think I'm usually quite a considerate cyclist, and I always wave thanks etc at drivers for letting me out / not pulling out etc, but in this case I hope my hand signals were very clearly sending the message "BACK OFF PAL, or I'll slow down and stop the bike infront of you and I will be really fuggin angry with you..." I really don't like Viano taxis at the moment, even worse than Addison Lee."
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Talius wrote:
    ...even worse than Addison Lee."
    Those are some damned strong words!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Yesterday I had a taxi driver overtake me and the guy in front on a mini round about. He didn't notice that we had to take evasive action as he was to busy merrily chatting away on his mobile. I was going to confront him when he pulled into a petrol station but at this point it was starting to chuck it down so couldn't be bothered.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.
  • I met my wife nr where she works and carried her bike up the stairs to catch the train home.

She hates the wind and does seem to get pushed around more than I.