Does anyone know if the ebay budget cranksets are OK ?

QuickDave
QuickDave Posts: 30
edited February 2014 in Commuting general
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about swapping out the old crankset (integrated Shimano triple) on my commuter (1990's Claud Butler with slicks). Does anyone have any thoughts on the ebay budget / unbranded ebay ones ? E.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/fixie-crankset

The CRC branded ones are £60+ and I've only a short flat commute so looking for a good price.

Any thoughts much appreciated - thank you !

Comments

• If you are looking for a triple chainset how about Spa Cycles own. Good value at £35
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    How about picking up a cheap set of crank arms and adding a single ring.
    On my commuter I fitted a set of Alivio crank arms off ebay £13 and a hope single ring from Halfords for £20(even cheaper now)
  • Just be careful as a lot of single speed cranksets are designed for a single speed 1/8" chain and may not work well with a multi speed 3/32" chain.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    So are you going single front and gears rear or full single speed?

My fixie has a set of sugino Pista cranks on it and they have been pretty decent so far (952 miles, not that i'm counting) BUT these are for 1/8" chains.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use a Stronglight single speed track crankset on my 1x9 commuter, fairly light, competitively priced and works just fine!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.