Cycling - Lake District. Where to stay?

chorltonnick
chorltonnick Posts: 19
edited February 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

Me and a few mates are considering a cycling weekend in the Lakes in late May. We'll rent a cottage and go out on a few rides, enjoy pub lunches etc.

Now, where is best to stay in terms of general area? I should point out that we're Sunday cyclists, really... Usual weekend rides would be about 40-60miles and predominantly flat. None of us are at the point where we'd be climbing Ventoux, for instance.

So we'd like somewhere with quiet country lanes and maybe the odd challenging climb.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Nick

Comments

• There are many climbs in the Lake District which are steeper than Ventoux, just not quite as long.

Ambleside is a decent place to stay, nice and central, but does get very busy.
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Ambleside is smack in the middle of the lakes and is a good starting point for some great rides, but as markhewitt1978 says it does get very busy.

I would maybe try somewhere a bit quieter such as Hawkshead or Coniston. Plenty of good quiet roads around, avoid Wrynose, Hardknott etc if you don't like steep hills though!.

The main road between Ambleside and Windermere (A591) gets busy on weekends, the Windermere ferry is a great way to avoid that stretch.
  • The west of cumbria tends to be quieter and rather cheaper too. If you don't want steep, then the lake district isn't for you. It difficult to find decent length rides without at least one significant climb.
    Staveley is a good base with Wheelbase for bits if needed and a couple of decent eateries (Wilf's Cafe, Eagle & Child, Watermill at Ings) and some excellent road and off-road routes that can avoid the busiest roads and the steepest hills.
    Keswick could be a good base as there's plenty of routes up round Bassenthwaite Lake (The only lake) that are relatively flat and quiet. Same goes for Cockermouth, which is rather cheaper to stay than the centre of the lakes. Whinlatter pass (Braithwaite /Lorton) is rather gentler than the other passes, but still a challenge if you're not a climber.

Kendal can make a good base too, but not really suited to cycling into the lakes, more for Kent, Lune & Lyth Valleys (My home turf)

But you'll have to accept you're going to have hills & roads that are too busy for their narrowness unless you stay on the south coast of cumbria.

Once you know where you're staying, come back and we might be able to give you some suggestions. :)
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    either ambleside or bowness area, not many flat rides, lakes is one of the best MTB (wash your mouth out) areas in the UK, so if you have the option of an MTB you can do both road and off road routes.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Bowness if you want relatively softer rides, Keswick for alpine feel, Ambleside for both...

The hills in the South lakes are not difficult. Bowness is a good 'holday centre' base. A ride suggestion is as follows..

Bowness .. ferry across the lake, cycle North along western Windermere, left before wray castle (short climb) then drop down to Hawkshead...coffee.
    Then cycle south along any of the routes that parallel the western flank of Windermere to the Southern limit at Newby Bridge...coffee.
    Then West to pick up Eastern border of Coniston, head North up the eastern border of Coniston lake, stop at Ruskins house (national trust, great café), for.....coffee.
    Then carry on up the Eastern border of Coniston to the top of the lake, right turn up Hawkshead Hill, and drop down the other side to Ambleside for ....coffee and maybe beer..(Lucy's on a Plate is great for teas and light meals etc).

If you are tired get the ferry back on Windermere to Bowness, or cycle the 7 miles on a fairly busy but pretty road (A 591, 0r maybe 592??) back to Wndermere then Bowness.

My 8 and 9 year olds can do this so I am sure you can. This is a great ride with lots of watering holes, indeed the same can be said for much of the South lakes.
  • And I do completely agree, mountain biking is even better. If you want some routes off road let me know.
  • Big thank you to everyone for the responses so far. Very helpful. Once we book I'll get back in touch for some specific route suggestions. Really can't thank you enough again. Much appreciated.
  • cedzz
    cedzz Posts: 2
    Hi mjcaskey, I am going to be staying in Keswick for a week in April and would be interested in mountain bike options, not too technical.
    Thanks
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Keswick and Ambleside are the obvious choices...

If you want somewhere quieter I like the South lakes around Newby Bridge, also very popular with cyclists and quieter roads too.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....