Charge spoon

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
Anyone use one for long distances rather than just commuting? Thoughts?

Comments

• freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    edited February 2014
    PBo wrote:
    Anyone use one for long distances rather than just commuting? Thoughts?

I have this and a fizik arione both used for longer distances. For me they are of equal comfort.

Longer distance =100 MILES +
  • Apposite thread. I've just fitted one and find it is causing a bit of rubbage/chafage in the inner thigh/groin area. It's wider and less slippy than my previous saddle. Can I expect it to break in a bit? It does feel nice and solid if I get into a decent position on it, but the rubbing needs to stop.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    The Spoon is good, the Knife is even better for long distance riding IMO.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • And the Scoop, even better again.
  • I've got spoons on two bikes and have done several 200km Audaxes on them without problems. Your experience may be different!
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    the spoon is a great saddle, I've put in a few 100mile rides on one and it's lovely.
  • I've commuted various distances on my spoon for the last 4 years and love it. It has however never done any single long distance rides.

I always think that Saddles are a bit like shoes/clothes and since we're different shapes and sizes, so then different saddles will suit different people - I'm sure thats not a revelationary statement ...

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • I've got a Spoon on my single-speed commuter. I commute 6mi each way on it and it is great. I have used it for the occasional 30 miler and also a one-off 100 miler last October and it was also fine.

I'd probably go for the Scoop next time if they've preserved the comfort of the Spoon but removed the short-ruining stitching.
  • I've got a Spoon on my single-speed commuter. I commute 6mi each way on it and it is great. I have used it for the occasional 30 miler and also a one-off 100 miler last October and it was also fine.

I'd probably go for the Scoop next time if they've preserved the comfort of the Spoon but removed the short-ruining stitching.

The stitching is my gripe with the Spoon as well. Does not affect comfort though (for me).
  • Stevo C
    Stevo C Posts: 132
    I've had all three:

Spoon - was in almost daily use on the single speed for 2 years - it just worked, don't ever recall any problems with comfort regardless of what I wore. Longest ride about 30 miles

Knife - I've had it for about 5 years and prefer this to the Spoon. It's been used on many 50/60 milers and has never been uncomfortable

Scoop - have had one on the winter bike since Xmas. I'm undecided - it seems to need the nose to point down slightly to be comfortable, which in turn looks slightly odd. I'm a bit surprised as all the reviews I've read say this is supposed to be the best of the three. Longest ride has been 15 miles due to the lovely weather we've had in 2014 so far
    cheers

Steve
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Charge spoon, short rides, long rides, beautifully comfortable. Have changed to a scoop on the CR1 and have exactly the same problem described above.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Charge Spoon on my Anthem - longest ride, 88 miles along the SDW, 10 hours riding... very comfortable.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I was thinking about getting a Knife for the Kinesis and putting my Spoon on the MTB. Thought I'd have a look at the Scoop having read this thread and found a review that says the front does point down a bit if you have the middle level which would appear to be the problem in the above posts.
    Mind you I've just found a Spoon with green trim that might look good on the Kinesis.
    0023111_charge_spoon_ltd_edition_saddle_450.jpeg
    Or is that too tarty?
  • I have the a Charge Spoon on the single speed, nice and comfty be that short journeys in civies to work and back or sweating in lycra for 50 miles though the Surrey Hills, was fine and dandy for last years Capital to Coast, which I rode home from as well, quite a long day and 120mls.

I may get one for the older MTB that is my getting back into riding/commute/hack etc bike now, it's saddle isn't wildy comftable in civies
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I have 3 bikes with Charge Spoon's and for me they are great compared to others I had tried I also have a Madison Flux which is pretty much the same, my max distance is only 55miles but it was still a comfortable ride.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I was thinking about getting a Knife for the Kinesis and putting my Spoon on the MTB. Thought I'd have a look at the Scoop having read this thread and found a review that says the front does point down a bit if you have the middle level which would appear to be the problem in the above posts.
    Mind you I've just found a Spoon with green trim that might look good on the Kinesis.
    Or is that too tarty?

You can custom design the spoon, to a degree, on here: https://custom.chargebikes.com/#/charge/spoon_saddle%28s:~cover_C1,rails_B2,base_E1,bumpers_D1,logo_G1,stitching_F1+%29
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    personally i find them extremely uncomfortable even for a short ride i get on better with hard thin padded saddles which is surprising given the size of my MASSHOOF arse
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate that saddles are a personal thing, but given how cheap they are I was wondering if that was because they are only designed for short journeys....