Saddle Advice Needed

Rhbjones
Rhbjones Posts: 26
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
I recently bought a Scott Aspect 930, which I am enjoying riding and looking forward to my first time at Delamere forest in the next couple weeks! :)

The saddle on this bike, is pretty uncomfy, I have some padded shorts which makes it a a bit comfier, but can anyone suggest a decent saddle for the larger (read fat ba**ard) bloke?

Cheers
Rich

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Charge Spoon is favoured by many. I have one on my commuter and it is very comfortable.
    A bargain at only £25.00rrp.

Also consider the new Charge Scoop. It's £40 but looks like it should be as good, if not better than the Spoon.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Madison Flux for me, in black and for less than £16 here.....Bargain!

http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m7b82 ... tAodh0YA4g
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    If you can, the best option would be to get your arse down to a shop where you can either have it measured or you can test out some saddles :wink:

For what it's worth I vote for the Charge Scoop.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    charge scoop is not comfy for my arse but a SDG bel air is. depends on your buttock size and shape.
  • I have a madison flux on my mountain bike (Basically a charge spoon) and a scoop on my road bike.
    The flux is brilliant for offroad and i wouldnt think of fitting anything but that or a charge spoon, but i wouldn't recommend the scoop for anything but road riding/commuting. Seems much more suited to a road bike IMO
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Charge Spoon on both my MTB's and road bike and a Madison Flux on the commuter, they work for me and very cheap compared to many which not be as comfy. The also seemed to be bullet proof, it take the hits and doesn't show signs of wear.
  • I only find specialized bg saddles comfy. Everything else makes me go numb, something to do with a vein down there.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Madison Flux for me, in black and for less than £16 here.....Bargain!

http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m7b82 ... tAodh0YA4g

Same here, and happy with it:

DSC_8919800x532_zpsec7f7b45.jpg
  • Kowalski675
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Just do nothing for now, it takes a few weeks for a new saddle to break in and a few month for an inexperience R's to toughen up to match fitness. And that's assuming (pun intended) you ride for at least a few hours a week.

But an uncomfortable saddle will always be uncomfortable. It only took a few moments sat on my Baordman to know that the OE torture device had to go, before I even took the plastic wrapper off. The Madison was an instant and massive improvement.
  • Kowalski675
    cyd190468 wrote:
    The OP has only just started riding.

So had I. The difference between the OE saddle and the Madison was night and day. The OE saddle was uncomfortable just to look at, never mind sit on, the Madison was comfortable for miles from the word go. If a saddle's not comfortable for any given individual, it's never going to be comfortable, no matter how long they attempt to endure it for before changing it.
  • arran77 wrote:
    If you can, the best option would be to get your ars* down to a shop where you can either have it measured or you can test out some saddles :wink:

what this man said..... with a bit of cyd thrown in too....

get your sitbones measured and if it matches the seat you already have it will just need breaking in....
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    I find the Superstar Circuit quite comfy.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Kowalski675
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Your R's must be alot more sensitive than mine.

Only a roadie could've typed that. :shock: I hope I'm not being groomed. :?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    rgliniany wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    If you can, the best option would be to get your ars* down to a shop where you can either have it measured or you can test out some saddles :wink:

what this man said..... with a bit of cyd thrown in too....

get your sitbones measured and if it matches the seat you already have it will just need breaking in....

This is good advice if you have been riding for a couple of weeks and it is still not right.

My Carve MTB saddle fitted me well from the off. The one on my road bike was very painful after an hour's riding. Measured myself with the wife laughing and now have a specialized avatar which is good for hours of Road riding.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Just do nothing for now, it takes a few weeks for a new saddle to break in and a few month for an inexperience R's to toughen up to match fitness. And that's assuming (pun intended) you ride for at least a few hours a week.
    cyd190468 wrote:
    The OP has only just started riding so at this early stage will probably find any saddle unbearable after 30mins.

^ This, word for word.

And not only does your arsë need to toughen up but also your expectation of what constitutes a 'comfortable' saddle may well change with experience. A 'comfortable' saddle is not necessarily the one that feels like a Chesterfield sofa when you first sit on it but is more likely the one that allows you to ride for some distance without feeling like someone's been kicking you in the butt for the last 3 hours. I swapped the saddle on my bike for the Spoon as recommended above and it's noticeably harder than the saddle it replaced. But after a few hours in the saddle I'm in much better shape than I was on the old, softer, saddle.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607