Do I need to replace chain and cassette?

dirty face
dirty face Posts: 139
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just ordered a Renthal chainring for my Trek Session 8. I plan on replacing the cassette and chain, but my question is do I need to replace all of them at the same time? Can I just fit new chainring and wait for a while before doing the other two? The bike is 2 years old and the cassette and chain have not yet been changed.
If you don't fall off you're not trying hard enough!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it all works fine, no.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Everything works fine, and the other 2 will be replaced over the next month or so and I ride about once per week. However I know that it has been said that and old chain may increase wear on a new chainring. How severe can this be? I'm sure the Renthal chainring will hold its own but just wanted to get some more opinions. Thanks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get the chain elongation (often called stretch), if it's excessive then I wouldn't risk it, if it's less than 0.75 then it will be fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    If it all works fine at the moment, just keep the new chain ring to one side and wait until you have all the new stuff.

Take the opportunity to change the jockey wheels if they look worn, and also replace/re-grease the bottom bracket and whack a new gear cable in there too. If you do everything in one go it'll be like a new bike. :D
  • Thanks for the advice folks. I think I would be fine to do chainring only for the time being, based on that its a single ring so chain movement/wear & tear would be less than if it were 2 or 3 chainrings up front where the chain would be moving on and off as well as side to side more often

That said, I probably will wait until I have all 3 parts including jockey wheels, as this will give me an excuse to spend far more time in the garage and less time in front of the TV when I do the work!!
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    The Rookie wrote:
    Get the chain elongation (often called stretch), if it's excessive then I wouldn't risk it, if it's less than 0.75 then it will be fine.

This ^^^^^
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500