Flooding

2»

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    EKE, I know the area well....

TuT TuT, you should know better.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    tommybc wrote:
    lol look at this big house flooded, serves him right for building on a floodplane! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6ZRSc75 ... e=youtu.be he's a rubber wan ker anyway

Hey - if he wants to use his money to build a dam and pay for pumps to keep the water out then that's his business ...

You do wonder though if he will be claiming this cost back from insurance ....
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    rubertoe wrote:

+1
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

+1
    Also, the last time I rode through flood water (exactly the same place, I don't learn) I noticed my bike was noticeably heavier and made a sloshing sound. I eventually realised there was water in my 40mm deep section wheel rims. When I took the tyres, tube and rim tape off, I got about 200ml out of each wheel.

I'm going to check my wheels now (before my ITB prescribed turbo torture session)!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    tommybc wrote:
    lol look at this big house flooded, serves him right for building on a floodplane! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6ZRSc75 ... e=youtu.be he's a rubber wan ker anyway

That's Sam Notaro's gaff - he applied to build it higher off the ground, but the planning people turned him down. It's actually still dry inside, thanks to the work he's undertaken. You seem a bitter person to have joined merely to post such a mean-spirited comment - hopefully you can contribute something more useful next time.
  • How is zummerset DrLex for you - I just the quite frankly mental space pic of the area... That's a lot of extra surface water.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Thanks for asking, MM; it's not too bad for me personally - some weather-related issues (section of stone wall collapsed, felt on stable roof blown off, long delays on school run), but nothing serious. My sympathies are with all those flooded out. I can't recall whether fellow forum member twist83 is in Long Load or Long Sutton; he will be suffering the inconvenience of a closed road & bridge on his journeys.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Well i've never seen anything like the flooding today, 4 miles of 6-8 inch deep across of the road all the surrounding fields underwater, in fact the water actually had a current and white waves.

mental
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Not even looked at BR since Sunday last week. Since then we've had floodwater lapping at our lounge, backed up sewage water lapping at the front door, no mains drainage, so no showers, running toilets, dishwasher. We've emptied sheds, taped up air bricks, shifted stuff upstairs, had the RAF from Suffolk building sandbag dams by the front door, had the Fire Brigade from Essex pump water / sewage from the drive and garden, and their colleagues from Manchester and Lincolnshire pump the flooded pumping station clear, only for Thames Water to refuse our requests to fix it until today. I've met neighbours for the first time despite living here for 6 years, ditto the local councillors, and also our MP ( Theresa May). South Wales fire brigade showed up today, but I'm convinced only because their colleagues had told them we were a solid bet for a cup of tea...
    Today the drive and garden are clear, the drains flowing freely and life is smelling sweet again (unlike the garden). So far I'd have to say we've been well supported and lucky - no internal flooding. There are many far worse off than us.

Most bizarre event of the week however was when I went outside to check on the drains, looking like a tramp after no shaving or showering for 3 days to find Davina McCall cycling past on her challenge.

Oh, and most importantly, the bike lives hanging off the wall in the garage and came through unscathed. Might actually be able to consider using it again now...
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Drew123 wrote:
    Not even looked at BR since Sunday last week. Since then we've had floodwater lapping at our lounge, backed up sewage water lapping at the front door, no mains drainage, so no showers, running toilets, dishwasher. We've emptied sheds, taped up air bricks, shifted stuff upstairs, had the RAF from Suffolk building sandbag dams by the front door, had the Fire Brigade from Essex pump water / sewage from the drive and garden, and their colleagues from Manchester and Lincolnshire pump the flooded pumping station clear, only for Thames Water to refuse our requests to fix it until today. I've met neighbours for the first time despite living here for 6 years, ditto the local councillors, and also our MP ( Theresa May). South Wales fire brigade showed up today, but I'm convinced only because their colleagues had told them we were a solid bet for a cup of tea...
    Today the drive and garden are clear, the drains flowing freely and life is smelling sweet again (unlike the garden). So far I'd have to say we've been well supported and lucky - no internal flooding. There are many far worse off than us.

Most bizarre event of the week however was when I went outside to check on the drains, looking like a tramp after no shaving or showering for 3 days to find Davina McCall cycling past on her challenge.

Oh, and most importantly, the bike lives hanging off the wall in the garage and came through unscathed. Might actually be able to consider using it again now...

Well done and good luck. :-)
  • Yes!

Well, not drowning but not far of it.

This was may commute on Friday. It started relatively minor but turned into a full on storm.

http://youtu.be/CaPNgPPJxUY

Br
    Nig
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    you need a much much brighter light
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Drew123 wrote:

Don't worry Drew, from the pictures I've seen you'd have been looking considerably fresher than Davina
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem