Help with tyre sizing..please

Robbie1958
Robbie1958 Posts: 148
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Hi

I have a long haul trucker cycle, fitted with Mavic A319 rims, 26 spokes. the rim on the label reads 28mm and directly under that it reads 50mm. the wheels are currently fitted with 700 x 35c tyres, but i would like something with a little less resistance and better rolling qualities.

My question is: could i put 25mm Gatorskins on these rims? i have thought that because the tyre is being spread further, that it may be more prone to damage if i hit large pot holes. but other than that I'm not sure if this is feasible.

If it is what size tubes would i use and what pressure could i inflate to?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Robbie
Colnago..............The name on the worlds finest bikes

Comments

• I am not 100% sure but I don't anticipate you having any issues with a 25mm gatorskin on those rims. My understanding is that the A319 is a regular road rim so should be able to accommodate a 25c tyre, however you'd be best to check the Mavic website for their recommended tyre widths. If you are worried, just go with a 28c. You'll still see a decent different from your current 35c.

Re: tubes, you just need a standard inner for a 25c tyre and the pressure limit is set by the tyre so just read the limits printed on the tyre sidewall.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    If it's the A319 touring rim(the wide version) it will take tyres up to 50mm wide but you would not want to put anything less than a 28mm tyre on those rims, 25mm tyre will be too narrow. If it's the standard (narrow ) road rim you can go as narrow as you like.
    here is the touring rim:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... wgod_zkAYQ

BTW- Are you sure it has 26 spokes and not 36?
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Narrow tyres aren't always faster if you belive Jan Hiene they often just feel faster

http://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/bicycle-quarterly-performance-of-tires/
    And for the rest of us, this research has made it possible to build bikes with comfortable 42 mm tires that are as fast as racing bikes.

Though I find it hard to believe the above about 42mm tyres being as fast as say 25mm ones.
  • Thanks for your help. It does say on the rim 28mm to 50mm, so i am assuming they are the touring rims. Sorry they have 36 spokes, not 26...my typing error. I think i'll go with the 28mm gatorskins they should be a smoother ride than the town tyres i have on at the moment. i'll leave what i have on for now and change when the weather breaks in March (i hope) i can always swap them back next winter.

Regards

Robbie
    Colnago..............The name on the worlds finest bikes