Multi Tools to take on the trail...

chaimes27
chaimes27 Posts: 10
edited February 2014 in MTB general
Hello,

I'm currently a second year design and engineering student working on a project based around mountain biking. I myself have a background in mountain biking, therefore I have naturally decided to design for the sport I partake in.

I have identified trail break downs as a pain area. If you could spare a few minutes to fill in my survey I would be hugely grateful.

Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Q8LCYPJ

The survey has been carefully thought and designed, but if you have any questions my details are shown at the end of the survey.

Many Thanks,

Christian

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Seriously?

Put at least a bit of effort in.

Firstly I don't do minuets because I have no musical ability whatsoever.

Secondly the most essential tool is a multitool, obviously.

Thirdly, it's brakes.

Fourthly, 'pallet' is almost as sad as 'colourway'.

My suggestion - must try harder.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Finally, you didn't learn much from here:

viewtopic.php?t=12955693

Although that was a funny thread.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thank you for your comments, they have been taken into account.

I would like to highlight there are hundreds of variations of multi tools. All with differentiating combinations of tools, materials and designs.
  • cooldad
    Yep. Something for everyone. Does that suggest something?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    chaimes27 wrote:
    I would like to highlight there are hundreds of variations of multi tools. All with differentiating combinations of tools, materials and designs.

So you're going to damn hard pushed to make anything that's not already out there...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yet another poor questionnaire.
    So Question 4 is 1 most important or is 5?

Can not go any further.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I am asking for is a simple insight into riders experiences, nothing more. All markets have space for innovation.
  • Kowalski675
    chaimes27 wrote:
    I am asking for is a simple insight into riders experiences, nothing more. All markets have space for innovation.

There's not really much innovative you could do with a multi tool, without resorting to daft gimmicks - they're simple and they work, not really any room for innovation.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I did the survey but I imagine you could learn more standing in the middle of your local woods and waiting for someone to breakdown next to you.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Surely a chain jamming in a cassette is the one of the rarest occurences in mountian biking (unless the question was wrongly worded)? You'd have to bend the cassette to do it, which would imply that all you'd need to get the chain out and bend it back to something vaguely functional would be a stick. You could call it an Enduro Stick. It'd sell by the bucket-load.
  • cooldad
    Question 6 - wing nuts?
    My road bike (we called them racing bikes then) had wing nuts for the wheels in 1975.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • chaimes27 wrote:
    I have identified trail break downs as a pain area.

Are you kidding? I love breaking down!!!!
    chaimes27 wrote:
    The survey has been carefully thought and designed

No it hasn't.

How about next time you use the 'search' function on here so that you don't end up looking like such a multitool (sorry had to be done)

Things I want that aren't already on a multitool:
    A shovel - for building trails or digging holes to bury...... I've said to much
    A toothbrush - for when I finally meet that good looking female mountain biker in the woods
    A bottle of chloroform - see toothbrush
    A Santa Cruz Bronson frame in yellow - who wouldn't want one of those in thier pocket

Hope this info helps with your design
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Sorry but that survey was as pointless as the last one. What are you actually trying to achieve by doing these?

Also, if you don't want to 'breakdown' while riding, keep good care of your bike and you most likely won't.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    How a tool looks doesn't matter. I don't give a feck what colour it is as long as the tool is functionally good and doesn't round all my bolts.
    It won't let me answer other to the aesthetics question so I gave up. Maybe you should do the same.
  • I also like to partake in mountain biking but I didn't partake in your survey as it's a bit pants.
    Try looking at the forums for things that annoy people - what breaks whilst riding and can't be currently fixed with the usual multi-tools. Go to a trail/trail centre and watch and learn and see for yourself.
    Making a survey in the hopes that a load of mountain bikers tell you exactly what's needed and what they have made themselves just seems a bit lazy. Mountain biking is about getting out and about. So get out and about to where the bikes and bikers are.

I only did a year in Engineering Design so I'm no expert- my opinions are my own- but I would think you might want to work out the shortcomings of the existing multi-tools by yourself, with your own observation and experience and asking your own direct questions; and then have something in mind by way of an improvement. Tailor a more specific survey based on that design and you'll get better results.
    Make an effort and these grumpy old sods, who have an absolute wealth of experience and knowledge between them, will be a bit more forgiving. Most of them did at least try the survey before shooting you down so do heed their advice.
  • Kowalski675
    Contented wrote:
    Go to a trail/trail centre and watch and learn and see for yourself.

He could design a special tool for collecting all the pedal reflectors shed all over the trails, maybe...
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Contented wrote:

He could design a special tool for collecting all the pedal reflectors shed all over the trails, maybe...

Or a tool for picking up Gel Wrappers, Inner tubes and discarded surveys.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Kowalski675
    stubs wrote:
    Contented wrote:

Or a tool for picking up Gel Wrappers, Inner tubes and discarded surveys.

Aye - gets on my tits that (the gel wrappers and discarded tubes). What sort of lazy tw*t would dump a tube in a forest, rather than stick it in their bag and take it home. They must've been carrying a spare anyway, so it's not lik ethey even have to shoulder the extra 150g weight. If they take it home they could repair it and keep it as a spare, too. Even worse just dumping their gel wrappers.
  • cooldad
    Same lazy tw*ts who, if they walked instead of rode, would leave bags of dog shite hanging from trees.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    Same lazy tw*ts who, if they walked instead of rode, would leave bags of dog shite hanging from trees.

Now that one I really can't comprehend. If they're going to leave the sh*t behind then why put it in a non-biodegradable bag ffs?
  • Soggz
    Soggz Posts: 221
    Mulitools...this months MBUK are reveiwing a load...
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    cooldad wrote:

Yep, the very same lazy tw*ts who whine, wail and whinge when you do the same thing to their children.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    cooldad wrote:

you are absolutely correct - we learn nothing from your negative adumbrate and irritating comments.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Clank wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Yep, the very same lazy tw*ts who whine, wail and whinge when you do the same thing to their children.

What, put them in a bag and hang them from a tree???

To the OP, this is a garbage survey. If you want to see a great multi-tool then look at the crank brothers pica and pica+, the indexed tools are lovely and the chain tool is just about usable. They're even made of a decent alloy so they don't round off or bend when you use them in anger.
  • cooldad
    FishFish wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

you are absolutely correct - we learn nothing from your negative adumbrate and irritating comments.

Is that the royal 'we'?
    Is your name really Elizabeth?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools