Magicshine - favour required - Teessider

darkspirit
darkspirit Posts: 40
edited February 2014 in MTB general
Hi,

Not sure which was the best place to put this but I'm looking for someone in the Teesside area who uses magicshine lights to help me out...

Ive just bought a mj818 rear light off a member on here and it doesn't seem to work. Ive stripped it and inspected it and it seems ok physically.

Im thinking maybe its not compatable with my battery (CREE T6 cycle light) due to voltage mismatch.

I was wanting to quickly try someones battery before I sell the light to make sure it does/doesn't work...

Thanks,
Mark

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Message one of the clever light people like DIY or Ouija (you'll find them in the giant lights thread in buying advice.)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    edited February 2014
    The mj818 requires a 7.4/8.4v battery. It could be that your Cree T6 light uses a 3.7/4.2v pack (especially if it's a head torch with a 2 cell pack) but in most cases the 4.2v packs tend to have male connectors and the lights female connectors, while the 8.4v packs are the other way round so a 4.2v battery wouldn't have the right connector for a 8.4v light. Also. Even if you were plugging in a 4.2v pack you''d probably still get a response from the light (most 8.4v lights i've done this too come on... just very dimly).

Another possibility is a mismatch in connector sizes. A lot of the Chinese lights use 5.5mm DC jacks with 2.1mm centers while some of the boutique light manufacturers use 5.5mm DC jacks with 2.5mm centers (so the batteries thinner center pin doesn't touch the light sockets fatter inner surface).

Or the light could be buggered. A lot of people have had problems with their mj818's.
  • Thanks for the reply...

ive done all the usual checks on the light, all wires etc are still attatched...

They are definitely the correct plugs etc.

The seller says it was working before dispatch (has a picture of it switched on)

So it can only be voltage mismatch or buggered light :(

Need to eliminate the voltage option first before I try to get a refund/bin it...

Thanks,
    Mark