Which cable set ?

maltloaf_df
maltloaf_df Posts: 118
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm doing my first build from scratch using mainly secondhand parts including some Tiagra 4600 levers.

Can anyone recommend a good cable set for gears and brakes ?

Thank you.

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Jagwire Racer kits and Shimano cables are great. The Clarks Premium kits from Halfords are OK for the money (£10 each). New polymer coated cables from Shimano (DA9000 and Ult6800) are supposed to be amazing but I've yet to try them
  • Thank you, I've reserved one of the kits at halfords, £8 if you click and collect. Just need to find a brake kit now.
  • bobones
    Thank you, I've reserved one of the kits at halfords, £8 if you click and collect. Just need to find a brake kit now.
    They usually have them in the shop.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    +1 for the Jagwire Racer kit - can usually be found for £25, comes with inners and outers for brakes and gears in a variety of colours, and are decent cables as well. Have fun with the build and post some pics when you're done!
  • Thanks everyone.

I found a kit on eBay for £10 which includes everything for gears and brakes. I've ordered one and will let you know how it is.

Thanks
  • So start thread to get advice then completely ignore said advice and take the cheap option.... nice :lol:
  • I haven't ignored anything. I've done some research, bought the Clarks kit from halfords (as advised) and also spotted a cheaper option which I'm going to try out to see if it's any good.
  • Shimano dura ace 9000!!! Awesome cables, recently had some fitted and gears feel like new, £39.99 but worth it if last like they are
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    As long as they are Stainless steel the cheap ebay ones will be fine imo.

I got theese new inners for 84p & they work perfectly even though people advise to replace the outer also i didn't see the point in doing that.

http://www.tweekscycles.com/components/ ... -gear-wire

Dunno why but some gear cable kits seem expensive for a product that probably cost less than a couple of quid to manufacture.

Worth buying a few extra as spares, though iv'e nver had a cable break yet but know others have had that happen.
  • bobones
    Moonbiker wrote:
    even though people advise to replace the outer also i didn't see the point in doing that.
    You replace the outer because it can be a source of friction which screws up the indexing. The loop at the rear derailleur is particular susceptible to water/dirt ingress and grooving by the inner .

I find Shimano 10 speed is quite fussy about the quality of cables used. I've had cheap ones where it was impossible to get the indexing correct. It's usually worse at the bottom of the cog where if you put in enough cable tension to get the chain to move up smoothly, then it's reluctant to drop down. If you relax the tension so it moves down the cog smoothly, then it's reluctant to move up the cog, particularly smallest cog to 2nd. Problem is solved by using decent quality inners and outers along with ferrules that don't bend and flex under load.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When a cable breaks or frays I generally just replace the inner wire. Have had similar life from Shimano and Clarks cables.
    Eventually though the outers will become worn. At the moment I'm contemplating recabling my winter bike completely; the outers have been on there from new which was 6 years ago, so I'm sure it will make a difference. Last night every rear downshift was accompanied by a noise like a frog being gently squeezed :shock:

Probably will go with the Jagwire kit, possibly in one of the shouty colours to brighten up the gloomy / wet rides. And some nice new bar tape. In black; I know my limits!