Ultegra 6800 crankset compatibility

Roboleeds
Roboleeds Posts: 43
edited February 2014 in Workshop
I'm looking to purchase a Stages power meter to fit on my new bike which will be fitted with Ultegra 6800.I have Shimano 105 fitted to my winter bike.My idea is to buy a Ultegra 6800 crankset to fit to my winter bike to allow me to use the power meter on it,will it be compatible with the 105?

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    edited February 2014
    I doubt these are compatible. Doesn't Ultegra 6800 have a 4 arm spider integrated with the arm, similar to Dura-Ace 9000 while 105 is a 5 arm spider.

Edit: Please disregard my comment above! I was thinking drive side, stages is non-drive side per post below....
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    edited February 2014
    You can buy the the stages power meter as just the non drive side crank arm, so if you buy an Ultegra 6800 version it will match the rest of your 6800 chainset and it will fit on the 105 chainset as they are both 24mm axles but obviously it won't match. As long as you don't mind a mismatched chainset you should be fine.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    I doubt these are compatible. Doesn't Ultegra 6800 have a 4 arm spider integrated with the arm, similar to Dura-Ace 9000 while 105 is a 5 arm spider.

While that's true, it doesn't make any difference to the fitting?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If you replace the existing chainset on the 105 bike with one that takes the power meter the rest of the 105 group will be fine.

Chainsets really are quite benine (in that they do not really have a compatibilty issue with other parts of the groupset). As long as it fits your BB you are good to go.

In fact the stages is built into the crank arm so in theory you could just replace the non ds crank arm on the 105 witht the stages one (assuming the splines are the same).
    Yellow is the new Black.