white gloss turning yellow

apple eater
apple eater Posts: 302
edited December 2014 in The hub
What paint or method is used when painting white gloss on woodwork to stop it turning yellow. I have two room doors and a room of skirting boards that have turned creamy / yellow in just a few months.

Anybody overcome this issue and how?
I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!

Comments

• It could be due to the effects of smoking. There is a paint undercoat that seals in nicotine, but I can't recall its name.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Proper undercoat over the wood if its new woodwork? Badly mixed white gloss also tends to discolour if I recall correctly? Modern glosses don't tend to be so bad generally in my experience.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Was it cheap paint?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Mine has done this. It's a lot worse where there is no natural light. I recoated it last year and it's on it's way again.
  • The woodwork is in a non smoking household. I used dulux white gloss over dulux undercoat. There is no furniture blocking doors and most of the skirting board is unblocked. natural light is in all rooms. I have read that since a new set of legislations came in in 2010 this has been a more common problem but not a real solution or paint/preparing guidance to stop it happening.
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Try water based paint its not quite as glossy but it doesnt yellow, dries quicker and doesnt smell for weeks after painting. Throw any Dulux paint you have in the bin its overpriced cheap shit, I have had very good results with Johnstones water based gloss aquawhite.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    POAH wrote:
    UV light is the cause - repaint it

There hasn't been any bloody light for the last few months.

Maybe it's just damp.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    POAH wrote:

Its the exact opposite the paint yellows faster when its behind furniture. Its needs the bleaching effect of daylight if it is to have any chance of staying white, it was on BBC Watchdog about a year ago.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    stubs wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Its the exact opposite the paint yellows faster when its behind furniture. Its needs the bleaching effect of daylight if it is to have any chance of staying white, it was on BBC Watchdog about a year ago.

depending on what the paint is made from the UV light will break down the dye or brighteners in the paint. same thing happens with paper, ink, and other dyes with UV light.
  • stubs
    POAH wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    POAH wrote:

depending on what the paint is made from the UV light will break down the dye or brighteners in the paint. same thing happens with paper, ink, and other dyes with UV light.

Its not the colour thats the problem its the base. EU regs mean manufacturers have had to cut down on VOCs for health and environment reasons.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    It is turning yellow because it has got malaria. Alt it is drinking too much - effectively the same - liver failure. Main way to avoid this is DO NOT SEND your woodwork to West Africa on holiday or choose a teetotal form of wood. This always works for me.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    Just use Satin, or eggshell, you don't have to paint it so much, as the white lasts longer
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I worked for Dulux until recently and they had issues with yellowing on their high gloss and brilliant white product. It was made in their Slough plant but due to capacity issues was outsourced to their other facilities and 3rd parties - from memory there were a few issues here. Making gloss paint is quite hard and constant changes to regulations means reformulations are frequent and difficult to replicate

Essentially it's getting harder to make white paint and yellowing is a natural phenomenon - especially when it's dark and warm. I wouldn't agree that Dulux is inferior product - it's a damn site better than own brand stuff
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • cod58
    cod58 Posts: 7
    it is something to do with the ingredients in the paint, there was a programme on tv a long time ago about it that the paint gradually became more and more yellow, but only certian ones. it wasn't just one manufacturer either. the main culprits were refunding money for the tins of paint that had been sold and in some cases they were paying for decorators to repaint customers woodwork.
  • steve_muzzy
    steve_muzzy Posts: 259
    I have a 2 year old new build and the whole house needs doing again. Insides of cupboard doors are the worse. Any tips on what to use, satinwood a mate suggested?
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Yes but Satinwood can have a problem with "grit" in the paint
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you don't paint it white, the white can't turn yellow........that's the trouble with white, it is an absence of colour, so use a colour and it will pretty much stay that colour.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    Use water based paint. You dont quite get the same finish as oil based but it is a lot more colour stable
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    You can buy special non-yellowing white paint (B&Q does some), I've used it and it's great :D
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • B&Q used to sell a very good water based gloss and I painted most of my sorting boards with it, unfortunately they stopped selling it, like they tend to do with other very good paints.