Specialized Camber 29 Base 2013 VS. Stumpjumper FS Comp 2013

DSx1if30wn3r
DSx1if30wn3r Posts: 4
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey all; first off, I'm glad to join a great and respectable community here and hope I could get some input on my dilemma.

So, I'm stuck between 3 full-suspension bikes currently and can't decide which one to get:

Specialized Camber 29 (Base) 2013............$1750
Specialized Stumpjumper FS Comp 2013......$2000

- Terrain: XC, moderate hills, anywhere from no roots to lots of roots and rocks (NE USA)
- I have no plans to race yet, but if I ever do, it won't be too serious.
- Intermediate level rider

$2000 is a slightly over budget, but I can do that it if it's really worth it.
I know the SJ is slightly more suited for racing with more travel (Camber has 110mm), but honestly, if it's not THAT big of a difference, then I can go either way (assuming it's worth it). Remember, I'm more recreational, but I do like to go fast. In addition, I've already made my mind up on the FS.

I appreciate any advice you may be able to provide.

Thanks!
-DSx

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited February 2014
    Links would help, as presume from the $ you are not in the UK.

(edit just noticed NE USA)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    The stock camber is pretty terrible value. Why specialized in particular btw?
  • The Camber Expert is out of stock now anyways.

However, the 2013 Camber base got good reviews. It has a Rockshox fork unlike the 2014 which has Suntour (staying away from that).

Going for Specialized because I really like their bikes in terms of quality, feel, and I also own a Specialized Allez Elite 2013 road bike and love it. I know it's not a MTB, obviously, but I want to stick with them now.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Kit is very similar if they are the same as UK spec bikes, the Camber is slightly better suited to xc racing as it has a bit less travel, maybe slightly less weight, and a less aggressive tyre choice as standard. Stumpy is a more capable bike though, more travel and bigger tyres!
  • Cqc
    Don't get me wrong, I think specialized is great (I ride a 2007 stumpy) but I think at this price point you can do better elsewhere
  • I can do better at this price point with other brands? I am not as familiar with other brands as with Specialized, so I would appreciate it if you could give me some suggestions.

Thanks,
    DSx
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Most people posting on here are from the UK, so unless you have Halfords or Decathlon, or sales at Paul's Cycles, it's a bit difficult.
    But Spesh tend to be expensive for what you get as you are paying a wedge for the brand.

Prices also don't compare - we pay almost as much in £s as you pay in $s, so what is expensive here might not be there.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cqc
    Canyon?