Garmin Edge 500 on multiple bikes

phreak
phreak Posts: 2,941
edited February 2014 in Workshop
I bought the Edge 500 over the weekend and was quite pleased to learn that you can install it on two bikes. I was trying to get it all setup last night though and have been left a bit baffled.

Whilst there are two casings to put the head unit on each bike, there don't appear to be two measuring bits to track your speed/distance etc.

Am I missing something here or does that kind of defy logic?

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    measuring bits?!

it works by gps so thats how it tracks your speed and distance, unless you want to add a speed/cadence sensor?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • phreak
    Sorry, should have used more technical language :lol:

Yes, I meant the bits you put on to measure speed and cadence. There is only one of each, so presumably you can only measure speed and cadence on one bike?

If it helps, one bike is predominantly for the turbo so GPS isn't really that useful.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    phreak wrote:
    Sorry, should have used more technical language :lol:

Yes, I meant the bits you put on to measure speed and cadence. There is only one of each, so presumably you can only measure speed and cadence on one bike?

If it helps, one bike is predominantly for the turbo so GPS isn't really that useful.

you'll need to buy a second speed and cadence sensor to go on the other bike i'm afraid! Garmin are good but they don't give you stuff for free!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    You can install it on unlimited bikes - the limiting factor is how many mounts and how many sensors you have, otherwise it is a full un-install off one bike and full install on the other.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    You DO NOT NEED to buy another GSC10 speed and cadence sensor for your second bike, you can just use GPS for speed calculation, and do away with the need for cadence.
    In your case you will need the GSC10 to record speed on the Turbo, but could use GPS only whilst out on the road. Or you can buy another GSC10 if you really want, but as it is at the moment you CAN use your 500 on both bikes.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The only bit that's missing is the Cadence ... but then you could get a Stages Power meter as that'll do cadence as well ... ;)
  • phreak
    NewTTer wrote:
    You DO NOT NEED to buy another GSC10 speed and cadence sensor for your second bike, you can just use GPS for speed calculation, and do away with the need for cadence.
    In your case you will need the GSC10 to record speed on the Turbo, but could use GPS only whilst out on the road. Or you can buy another GSC10 if you really want, but as it is at the moment you CAN use your 500 on both bikes.

That's what I was wondering, thanks. Looks like you can buy just the GSC10 for around £20-30 should I want to go down that route.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    IME, GSC-10s are pretty crap and invariably break after a while: the reed sensor in the speed arm is very fragile. If you're going to get another sensor, I'd recommend trying to source a different brand. Decathlon do a fairly clunky looking, but functional one for £16.99, and the Motorola MotoActv / Bontrager Interchange ones are a bit nicer if more expensive. Unlike the GSC-10, these are all attached with rubber O-rings rather than cable ties so they can be easily swapped between bikes.