Mucky Nutz - Emergency Mech Hanger; Anybody used one?

paulbox
paulbox Posts: 1,203
edited February 2014 in MTB general
Personally I carry spare mech hangers for my bikes but I'm soon going to be leading a few group rides for novices and families. Trying to think about what could go wrong I've ordered one of these emergency mech hangers, really just wanted to know if anybody has ever used one to get them home and how it worked.

For info, I bought from flea bay, only £7.50 inc postage: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mucky-nutz-em ... 196wt_1253

Cheers,
Paul.
XC: Giant Anthem X
Fun: Yeti SB66
Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets

Comments

• miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    I've got one as a backup and its a staple in my bag... used mine once so far, the rear qr skewer holds it in place and you just bolt the mech onto it.

It can move under shifting as its not really "anchored" in/on the frame, I also had to fiddle with the adjustment screws to get the gearing back in line on my bike.

Its not a replacement hanger by any means but it works well and will get you through the rest of a ride - definitely very handy to have!
  • paulbox
    Perfect, that's exactly what I was hoping.

Thanks for the response.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    They might work, however rarely have I had an incident where I've snapped a mech hanger, and the mech hasn't been fucked too.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    They might work, however rarely have I had an incident where I've snapped a mech hanger, and the mech hasn't been farked too.

THIS

FUBAR'd one on the nomad and due to the frame being stronger than the metal hangar, it just bent the mech to pieces......£125 down the p1553r! :cry:
  • paulbox
    ilovedirt wrote:
    They might work, however rarely have I had an incident where I've snapped a mech hanger, and the mech hasn't been farked too.
    I've had an accident and also witnessed another guy where the hanger has done its job, I suppose it just depends on what you hit and how you hit it.

To be honest, for £7.50 and a such a small item to carry I'd rather have one in my bag.
  • As above I have broken 2 rear mechs, both times the hanger bent but the mech was wrecked!
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.