Giant TCX SLR 2

muttley_109
muttley_109 Posts: 177
edited February 2014 in Cyclocross
I thought I'd start a thread just for this bike so I can keep any questions I have to one place.

I know frazered has one so I guess this question is for you!

I took the bike back to Giant on the weekend to have the brakes replaced. They resolved the brake cable routing issue using a cable tie :roll: it does the job I suppose but is a bit of a bodge job.
I have now noticed though that the clearance between the front caliper and the spokes is about 1-2mm. I cant say i ever noticed what it was like before.

Have you had your brakes replaced yet, i'd be interested to see how they fixed the cable routing issue on yours and what sort of clearance you have between spokes and caliper.

Thanks

Ben
Cannondale CAAD 10
Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
Bird Zero TR

Comments

• frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Hey Ben. Giant have only just told me today that they have the brakes in now. I am taking in on Thursday.

Not been impressed tbh, I have phoned them regularly and only ever 1 call back. I have even mentioned rejecting the bike.

Will have a look at clearance tomorrow before they do the replacement.
    Cheers
  • frazered
    front is close as standard as you can see from the silver arm and the spoke distance, rear has more space for sure

front caliper clearance
    IMG_0907_zps42d0dcc8.jpg

rear caliper
    IMG_0909_zps4b7f8a01.jpg
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,227
    There's not going to be much spoke deflection that close to the hub. If there is I think something has gone very wrong somewhere.
  • That's ok then, I'd never noticed before and just thought it looked a bit close.
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • Having ridden the bike a bit more with the new brakes calipers it definately isnt right. When out of the saddle I can hear the spokes pinging off the front caliper which also has wear marks from the contact. Having looked at the way the brakes attach I cant see any way to adjust it to give more clearance. I can only assume then that the new re-designed calipers are wider and just dont fit with the wheels.

Looks like im going to have to take it back to giant again :roll:

I got the bike in november and so far have ridden it 3 times because of the bloody brakes.

Does anyone have experience of rejecting a bike that was purchased using cyclescheme?
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • frazered
    Hi. I had the work done on thurs. excursion today with over 2000 ft climbing.

I have not experienced the issues you describe. Something sounds off on your bike for sure.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,227
    Mutley looking at the pictures you put on the road general thread you have nowhere near the clearance that frazered has. Something has been done wrong on your bike. Depending on how happy you are tinkering yourself I would say wind out the pad adjuster on the inboard pad as far as you can. Loosen the caliper and refit it so there is more room between the wheel and the caliper, look at various instruction videos on YouTube or similar for help. That should give you enough clearance. If you are not happy doing this in any way, take it back to the shop and get them to fix it properly, tell them to look at instruction videos if they don't know what to do. Ride the bike and check everything before they hand it back to you next time as they clearly don't know what they are doing.