Road Hydraulic options

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited February 2014 in The workshop
My rear BB5 is seized I've chewed the adjustment bolt for the in-board dial. I may be able to get this sorted under warranty but that's a different issue. Single pull mechanical discs need tweaking, are noisy and are a PITA to align due to having one moving pad. So I want to upgrade, it's not looking like SRAM and Shimano will allow my Sora shifters to work with their gear, even when they get over the recalls, just yet so options are limited to hybrid systems.

TRP Parabox (£270)

vs

Hope Twin-V (£235)

vs

TRP HY/RD (£200)

vs

TRP Spyre Dual Pull Mechanical (£150)

Discuss.
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I've chewed the adjustment bolt for the in-board dial. I may be able to get this sorted under warranty

If you do, you ought to give a mention to whoever showed such generosity. As to your questions . . .

You've busted one of them, so you only need to replace one. Move your front BB5 to the back, where there's less braking to be done, and you just need a good front one. The V-Twin and Parabox options are both for a pair of brakes, so if you only need one, they're overkill. Unless you've decided to bin both brakes, of course.

If it were my choice, I'd take the TRP Hy/rd option, based entirely on reviews.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    I've fitted the V-Twins to my CX bike and despite not looking as good as the TRP's, they are fantastic.

The Hy/Rd's didn' work too well with my Rival levers, too much lever travel for my liking.

If you're interested in a set of Hy/Rd's, I've got a brand new set if them in silver with 160mm rotors that I'm about to be putting up for sale.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,514
    BB7s have 2 adjustable pads.
  • Bb7 won't help the op because they still have a static pad.

The hyrd would be my choice for your circumstances, the spyre was really promising but got recalled as well.
  • Initialised
    HY/RD does seem the more elegant solution, and probably easier to install and set up.

No one experienced with the Parabox?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Bb7 won't help the op because they still have a static pad.

The hyrd would be my choice for your circumstances, the spyre was really promising but got recalled as well.

The Spyre is available again. I haven't tried the Hy/Rds so can't compare, but the Spyres work well. They do seem to require quite frequent compensation for pad wear, but that seems to be par for the course with mechanical discs.

Another hydraulic option that will be available soon:

retroshift-hylex.jpg

http://thesetbackpost.com/cyclocross/br ... wait-what/
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Another argument for the Spyres is that they are lighter, cheaper, and better looking than the Hy/Rds. The flipside is that they aren't self adjusting.
  • Two years ago I did consider the parabox... I am glad I didn't buy it... it's now as obsolete as a T-Rex and it was never good, just like the Hope one... most of these systems are botch up... waiting for the real deal to be available... as a temporary solution the TRP system seems the most reasonably priced... bear in mind in a year or two you might want to upgrade to the real thing, so it's not worth spending too much
    left the forum March 2023
  • Initialised
    I've been on the MTB for the last couple of days, it has Juicy 5 up front and Auriga Comp at the back and even though they are 'entry level' hydraulics they are so much better.

So far one mechanic has said I'm better off replacing the seized rear and another (in the shop I bought it from) has said it may be repairable.

As for waiting, it'll be at least 2016 before the UCI lifts the ban on discs, at this point there will be a hefty early adopter premium for hydraulic integrated levers, possibly a different standard to ensure that roadies have to buy new callipers rather than reusing old (or relatively cheaper) MTB stock.

This system looks like the best 'stop gap' system but you can't buy it yet: http://road.cc/content/news/45111-cycle ... -converter with a bit of thought you could build it into the bars with just the fill port and outlet exposed.
  • Initialised
    In the end I got a good deal on a TRP Parabox Rev2 (with the thin hangar). I believe this takes the same pads as the Tektro Auriga on my MTB so that'll keep replacement pads and fluid easy.