Ergo levers, chuck or fix

Simmo72
Simmo72 Posts: 262
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Hi advice please

10 speed centaur levers, probably a good 8 plus years old.
My rear mech has been gradually getting worse, not terrible but not spot on like usual, regular secondary adjustment required. Then last month I binned it gear side on some ice. Everything was ok for about a month but now if I stick it in the 12, shifting down results in nothing, the lever moves all the way but nothing engages. If I angle some pressure towards me it catches and works but always jumps up 2 gears, then it's ok until I go back in the 12.

Not sure if this is worth repairing, it's for a winter bike so not worried about having something old on the bike as long as it works, just don't want to spend £60 when I can buy a replacement for not much more.

Does this sound like a repairable job, are ergos easy to repair or any recommendations on where I can send them off.

Cheers

Comments

• Yes, it sounds like it needs proper indexing done by someone who knows how to do it
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Contact gfk_velo on this forum. He can fix it or tell you how to do it yourself. Should be rather less than £60 and remember that you probably can't get an equivalent new lever for only a little more than £60. The current 10 speed shifters are nowhere near as good as yours - in particular only having single downshifts.
    But if you want new, let me know and I'll give you a fiver for your old ones! ;)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The springs tend to go fairly rapidly on these ergo levers but can be self repaired, a crash can cause issues if hit in the right spot....the repair is a bit tricky but can be done, you'll need another hand to tension the spring. If you prefer a hassle free solution find a Campag LBS/dealer near you and they should be able to fix the problem for a reasonable price.

Have your rear derailleur checked too.