headset trouble

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Just had new one fitted (FSA orbit MX, same as old one.) There's still a bit of a clunk through the bars when rattling downhill like there's some play somewhere. If I tighten the headset, the front end stiffens up so that the bike "tracks" if I ride no-handed. I thought I'd got the right balance today, but I can still feel the "clunk" and the bikes still tracking a bit so there doesn't seem to be a sweet spot.

Am I missing something? I've checked qr's, disc rotor bolts etc' and there'S nowt loose.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are all the headset bits in the right order? Some are like 3d jigsaws!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you did fit the new crown race?

and you have a gap between steerer and top cap?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Bearings not in upside down are they?
  • Jeez, more complicated than I thought then. I didn't fit it, shop did. Back to see them then I reckon
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    You and me both. Nothing is ever simple in life! Lol - good luck getting yours sorted! :)
    It's been a while...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Play in forks?

Hold the bike with the front brake on, rock the bike backwards and forwards and lay a finger across various joints and feel for play.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.