best packable/breathable waterproof

Roc1
Roc1 Posts: 30
edited February 2014 in Road beginners
I'm on the lookout for a packable and breathable (ideally) waterproof I can chuck in my camelbak when out on a ride should I get caught out by a downpour. Ideally don't want to spend more than £80 so wanted to ask here if anyone can recommend one they like?

As a side note something else I'd like to get is a buff to stop my ears being frozen off, any good ones or are they pretty much all the same?

Cheers!

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Anything properly waterproof is not really breathable and you'll tend to get wet from the inside. They will keep the wind out and keep you warm though.

A softshell jersey or jacket will resist water to a surprising degree, I've only resorted to the waterproof when I'm going to be out in the rain for hours. I use an Altura one.

A buff is a buff really, no need to over think that one :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    Prendas santini Taka.
  • dare2b, or montane something, endura, loads out there but i don't bother with waterproofs much unless it's really cold.

any buff type thing will do, some of the cheaper ones only stretch one way, buff's and headies have two way stretch.

i use a cotton cycling cap, for some reason my ears don't get cold.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You can get stuff that is breathable, it just cost loads.

As you only want to put it in a Camelbak and not a jersey pocket you have better options.
    What type of riding are you doing to have a Camelbak with you?
    Does the Camelbak not make your back sweat?

How about upping your budget to something like a Gore Path. You could use it off the bike as well to justify the extra cost.

I have a Sportful No Rain and find it breathable.

Buffs are great and I would get one anyway, but its best for face/nose rather than ears. If its just for your ears an ear warmer is much better because you do not end up with it around your neck which can be uncomfortable.

If its really cold a skull cap that covers ears is good too.
    Buffs do all of this and are a good cheap option, but other things do a better job IMO.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I've never found anything breathable to be remotely breathable enough not to make me feel sweaty, including goretex fabrics. Even moderate exertion cycling will make you sweaty - but crucially you'll stay a lot warmer due to the windproof nature of the shell. I use a Altura "breathable" waterproof jacket, nice soft feel (I hate "crackly" fabrics) and plenty waterproof and windproof, but sweaty of course (maybe that's just me!). But I only stick it on in cold rain that's not going to stop and I'm more than 20 minutes from home. otherwise hardly worth it.
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    If you are only wearing a waterproof when it is actually raining then breathable is not going to be much use. Breathable fabrics work when by passing moisture from the wet side to the dry side of the fabric. Usually driven by warmer moist air inside passing through to cooler drier air on the outside where evaporation and general convection currents carry it away. In a downpour it will be wetter on the outside and internal moisture is simply not going to transmit out. Working hard and building up a sweat inside top quality goretex or event clothes will still result in condensation on the inner surface as the moisture just has nowhere to go.
    By all means consider breathable for mixed conditions where the windproofing effect keeps you warmer and occasional light showers might occur. Between showers internal moisture will have a chance to get out and even if a bit damp inside you will stay warmer.
  • Roc1
    Roc1 Posts: 30
    Thanks for the replies! Well I've got a cambelbak from when I go mountain biking so thought it would be handy to have when out on the road bike to stick bits and bobs in. What do people use for stowing spare inner tube/puncture kit/waterproof etc in if not in a camelbak type thing?

Thanks
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    spare tubes, patches, multitool = saddlebag
    mini pump = frame mount

Waterproof folded up really small and into a jersey pocket.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Roc1 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies! Well I've got a cambelbak from when I go mountain biking so thought it would be handy to have when out on the road bike to stick bits and bobs in. What do people use for stowing spare inner tube/puncture kit/waterproof etc in if not in a camelbak type thing?

Thanks

one thing i like about my road bike, no need for a big back pack.

water bottles on frame, saddle bag for tools and spares, i use co2 cartridges because since breaking my arm i can't pump the tyres up to good pressure.

food, phone/money and jackets in pockets as stated by others. if you need extra food buy some, or get a small top tube bag or the like. for sportives i use this setup, extra food and my asthma pump in toptube bag for easy access.

i take lots of extras in my backpack when out on mtb.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    madtam wrote:
    If you are only wearing a waterproof when it is actually raining then breathable is not going to be much use. Breathable fabrics work when by passing moisture from the wet side to the dry side of the fabric. Usually driven by warmer moist air inside passing through to cooler drier air on the outside where evaporation and general convection currents carry it away. In a downpour it will be wetter on the outside and internal moisture is simply not going to transmit out. Working hard and building up a sweat inside top quality goretex or event clothes will still result in condensation on the inner surface as the moisture just has nowhere to go.
    By all means consider breathable for mixed conditions where the windproofing effect keeps you warmer and occasional light showers might occur. Between showers internal moisture will have a chance to get out and even if a bit damp inside you will stay warmer.

Wise words that should be engraved on every cycle shop door/internet retailers front page.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    madtam wrote:
    Make that a sticky. only place I've ever experienced goretex to be breathable was in tha Alps, at over 3000 metres.
  • I recently bought a Montane Featherlite Velo and have been really impressed for the price (£40). It's windproof and all I wear underneath on my morning commute is a merino base-layer and still stay warm. It packs down to the size of an apple. It kept me dry when caught in a downpour (although that only lasted about 5mins so I can't say how it would hold up in sustained rain). It's quite breatheable considering how windproof/rainproof it seems to be.

A 100% breathable and waterproof rainjacket that packs down to a small size seems to be the holy grail. I can't say the Montane is perfect in every aspect, but for £40 I'd definitely buy another one in the future. http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/wind ... vlo-jacket

With regards to ear warmers, I bought a Dare2b one for Halfords for £6.99 and it's been great. Again, I'd definitely buy another in the future. Plus according to the Halfords description "it can be used when attending fancy dress parties dressed as a tennis player." :? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_228865
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I just use an Aldi rain jacket. Seems to work as well as my rapha but I'm not precious about it getting crappy ;-)

It's in my back pocket and only gets use every few months I think - silly to spend much money on it. Get a fluo one though - clearly its foul weather when you out it on so you want to stand out.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Mikey41 wrote:
    Anything properly waterproof is not really breathable and you'll tend to get wet from the inside. They will keep the wind out and keep you warm though.

Truer words were never spoken(despite all the claims to the contrary by manufacturers).
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Agreed... That's why he has got 18 on me
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Check out the Sportful Hotpack No Rain Stretch jacket (probikekit doing them for 87 quid at the mo). Very packable, and I've been impressed with the breathability so far if I'm honest. Looks nice too.

Also just picked up a One Ten Pioggia shell and it is both highly breathable and very water resistant (event fabric but not seam sealed). Difficult to come by now though I think, but may come up on fleabay from time to time.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...