Scott s60 Upgrades

Balmforthg
Balmforthg Posts: 6
edited February 2014 in Workshop
I am looking to upgrade my speedster and would be interested to hear advice re, swapping out the triple for a compact? Does anyone have experience of this bike - its an 08 with the truvativ isoflow crankset, not too bad but its had its day? Any help appreciated?

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,131
    It's all about cadence - pedal speed. If you can keep an average 80-90rpm on all terrains, then you are doing okay. If you have built up enough stamina and strength then maybe a triple is surplus to requirements.
    I don't see any problem going from a triple to a compact. A compact chainset with 34/50 and a gear up to 27 teeth at the rear is going to get you over 1 in 3's unless you need to seriously loose some pounds ? :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Im committed to a compact, i just wondered if anyone had any specific recommendations moving from the truvativ. I appreciate i will need to swap out front mech too.
  • pinno
    Aaah, you're talking about mechanical issues.

There is a difference in taper between a JIS BB and other bottom bracket shafts. What sort of compact chainset is it?
    Try the front mech first before you ditch it, there is a quite a gap betweent the inner chainring and the outer anyway. Also, you may have too many links in the chain for the compact but that is easy to solve.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Aaah, you're talking about mechanical issues.
    Lol - yes it's the workshop section!
  • I dont actually have a compact cranksetsorted yet, would welcome suggestions? Do you think i will need to swap out bb to switch over to say a ultegra crankset?
  • pinno
    Balmforthg wrote:
    I dont actually have a compact cranksetsorted yet, would welcome suggestions? Do you think i will need to swap out bb to switch over to say a ultegra crankset?

Shimano Ultegra will be 'Hollowtech' - completely different set-up: Outboard/overboard bearing cups etc.
  • Whats a good swapout then. Any ideas?