DT Axis 2 wheels replacement

Kingsmill1
Kingsmill1 Posts: 103
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Took my Roubaix to LBS for first service expecting no issues only ridden around 150 miles in the 4 weeks I've had it ( due to weather). Anyway phone call from LBS they have discovered a noise coming from the rear wheel, later phone call stated definitely wheel and they are going to replace the free hub tomorrow before I pick it up. Wheels are the stock Spec Axis 2 which in the short few weeks I had them seemed fine. LBS said spec don't make good wheels and not unusual for them to go wrong. Now thinking of replacements I'm about 83 kg and ride about 5 times a week averaging about 85-100 miles per week on B roads. I did buy a set of fulcrum 5 for the summer so really thinking about putting them on for the winter and getting something for the summer. Any recommendations….
Giant TCR Comp 2
Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• It's been so wet that you can't blame a flimsy road hub for going wrong. Get the replacement under warranty and keep it. Until the weather improves significantly it is not worth getting any upgrade. Even the best hubs with the most expensive bearings and seals are not designed for this weather
    left the forum March 2023
  • I had a 2013 Secteur with the same wheel set, in the first week the free hub failed and Evans replaced the wheel. A few months later the same thing happened again. Obviously there is an issue with these hubs...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    My Tricross had front wheel bearing issues last year completely dry bearing (except the brown sludge!) - 1 month in - the LBS replaced the wheel under warranty (as expected).

That wheelset is now my rough riding wheelset that I'm happy to get cruddy ...

FR5's are nice - yes, you could use them for the winter - but in all honesty, if you're riding ok on the cruddy wheelset then I'd save the FR5's for the summer!
  • Just to add I am using a set of RS10's, cost £90 and have done 5k with zero issues. Thats 6 days a week, 150-200 miles. Although I have serviced them regularly myself.
  • I am going to see out this crap weather, LBS replaced the free hub under warranty hopefully once the weather improves I'll swap the wheels over for the fulcrums as they seem to get good reviews. Impressed with the bike much more comfortable than my giant TCR.
    Giant TCR Comp 2
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Kingsmill1, the scenario with the free hub is similar to the one I have with my Roubaix, except that I got it 6 months ago and put 1,500 miles on it. I'm also about 80 kg and ride 5 times a week, between 80 and 100 miles.

The noise (a grinding, dragging one) from the hub started a couple of months ago, but it has become crazy recently. Yesterday I took it to my LBS and asked them to overhaul the hub - I was convinced there had been some dirt and water getting to the bearings.
    They did that but told me that the main problem is the freehub, and recommended that I try getting a replacement from Specialized under the warranty. Did you end up getting one? I was told Spec would not do it because they will consider it normal wear. But 4 weeks and 150 miles would surely grant it.

Either way, I got to this post precisely because I was trying to find out what the best option for me would be, considering that the stock wheels that come with these Roubaixs are not great. Would you mind sharing how much you got the Fulcrum 5 for?
    I was not looking into spending a lot of money on this bike now, so I am wondering if I should get a replacement for the free hub, even if Spec doesn't do it under warranty.