Perfect Saddlepack Needed

cougie
cougie Posts: 22,512
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
Must be fairly small - I only want one strap under the saddle securing it.
Must have a loop on the back that I can attach a LED to. Its for my TT bike and all the tubes are aero so trickier to fit lights onto.

Ta.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Altura speed bag small 2013 fits the bill.
  • cougie
    Excellent work ! Thanks for saving me hours - Cheers !
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Perfect seatpack = no seatpack :-D
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Perfect seatpack = no seatpack :-D

+1
  • Topeak - various sizes. One range has a semi permanent clip on the saddle frame, which the bag just clips on to. Much less fiddle! A velcro strap goes around the seat pin. Very reliable even on rough roads. Available from Wiggle. Has loop on the back at 90 degrees from the road.
    I don't do Cold, Wet, Uphill or into the wind!!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Topeak - various sizes. One range has a semi permanent clip on the saddle frame, which the bag just clips on to. Much less fiddle! A velcro strap goes around the seat pin. Very reliable even on rough roads. Available from Wiggle. Has loop on the back at 90 degrees from the road.

That's what I have. I like the fact that the rear light loop is pretty sturdy so it holds my cateye holy hand grenade rear light at the correct angle. Some bags have a floppy loop so the light droops down at the road which is not ideal.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If one really must have a seat pack it must be a Lezyne Micro Caddy.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    keef66 wrote:
    Topeak - various sizes. One range has a semi permanent clip on the saddle frame, which the bag just clips on to. Much less fiddle! A velcro strap goes around the seat pin. Very reliable even on rough roads. Available from Wiggle. Has loop on the back at 90 degrees from the road.

That's what I have. I like the fact that the rear light loop is pretty sturdy so it holds my cateye holy hand grenade rear light at the correct angle. Some bags have a floppy loop so the light droops down at the road which is not ideal.

Yes, my wife uses a Topeak and it is very good. My Spesh Wedgie bags always seem to sag like Deputy Dawg meaning that trying to clip a light on the rear loop is just pointless...whereas that is exactly how my wife secures her rear light...and very secure it is too.
  • I've got a couple of Fizik ones that fit that description, except it has a Velcro strap round the seatpin.
    Habitually, I just cut those straps off, because they mark the pin, and then secure using the saddle rails with an old Skool Christophe toe strap for extra security.
  • cougie
    smidsy wrote:
    If one really must have a seat pack it must be a Lezyne Micro Caddy.

I do have that on my road bike - but I need a place for a flashy LED on the back of this one- and all of my tubes are long teardrops on the new bike. Hence needing the loop.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I keep a mini Decathlon Btwin saddle bag strapped under my road bike saddle. Its cheap, small, fits unobtrusively and holds enough mini emergency tools + inner tube to be useful. Sorry its not a flashy name but its only a bag and it looks fine and does the job.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/basic-04-l-id_8036818.html
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851

I have this but it doesn't fit any of our road bike saddles. It fits my MTB saddle.

I use the strappy Top peak bags on road saddles.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Why would you use a seat pack on a TT bike? Is it for 12 and 24hr events? :?:
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cougie
    Grill wrote:

Long distance triathlon I'm afraid.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    cougie wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Long distance triathlon I'm afraid.

Got it. Makes sense.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cougie
    Any new thoughts on bags ?

Made a schoolboy error of getting a white one to match my white road bike and it's not white any more. I should have gone black to match the bars and saddle.

Thanks.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    https://www.speedsleev.com/product-cate ... dle-packs/

Have a look at the Speedsleev stuff. They are available from a couple of UK retailers if you have a Google.

I have the Ranger S on my summer bike. Very neat and tidy - room for a single tube, two CO2 cartridges and head, couple of Allen keys and tyre levers. Everything has its own little compartment and then a chunky Velcro strap holds it all snugly under the saddle.
  • Got a couple of decathlon ones, they are fine. One small and one stupidly large (because I prefer to carry stuff I might not need on the bike rather than in my pockets).
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,208
    If you really want to use a saddlebag over a tool bottle then I don't think you can beat the Decathlon ones. Simple construction so nothing to break, light, cheap, easy to switch between bikes. The only downside is not waterproof in the slightest, which if it bothers you, can be remedied with a sandwich bag.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-bike-sa ... 54447.html - £7 for something that's about as small and elegant as saddlebags ever are and £1 more for a 0.6 litre one.

Still much, much prefer a Vitorria zip tool bottle mind (or PX cheap copy)
  • Cyckit is neat and well made. The standard size only takes 1 tube, levers and gas canister so the large is a better bet. However it doesn't look just as neat.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I used to have Topeak bags but didn’t like the way the Velcro strap rubbed and marked my seatpost. I switched to Arundel Dual which is perfect for my needs. It’s really narrow profile, attaches securely by a single strap around saddle rails (saving my carbon post from marks) and can hold two tubes, two tyre levers and a multi-tool.
  • cougie wrote:
    Any new thoughts on bags ?

Lezyne Road Caddy.

I know everyone is going to witter on about whatever they have, but I've tried quite a few over the years and this is the best by far.

Very slim and light, strong velcro strap, loop for light, will hold 2x lightweight tubes + CO2 + multitool + micro levers etc. extremely durable and good waterproofing; available black as well :wink:

Who buys a white saddle bag?!
  • cougie
    Yeah a white pack is a bad idea. Tbh if I washed it it wouldn't be too bad but the white zip cover has gone yellow.

Thanks for the advice !
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    socrates wrote:
    Cyckit is neat and well made. The standard size only takes 1 tube, levers and gas canister so the large is a better bet. However it doesn't look just as neat.

My summer bikes have these. Great looking but you have to go minimal on the kit you carry, which is actually no bad thing! I’ve also got a large base but not fitted it to a bike. It holds much more but I’ve got an Ortleib on the winter bike which has lasted forever and doesn’t need changing...

PP