Advice & Recommendations

VolatileMike
VolatileMike Posts: 78
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

At the moment I have a cube ltd race, and to be honest I don't really get on with it. It feels very steep and skippy to me when pointed down, and the front end all over the place. I have no doubt that this is down to my lack of skill but at the same time it would be better for someone like me who is fairly new to have something that is more confidence inspiring when things get fast etc.

I ride normal XC trails and places like afan, maybe some natural woodlands. No proper downhill stuff.

With what I've said in mind, I'm looking for a bike with a slacker head angle. Could you guys recommend some bikes in that bracket. It could be another Alu hardtail, a steel hardtail or a FS, although I've never ridden a FS, although am tempted!

I'm guessing I wouldn't need anything with over 120mm travel? I did like the look of Radon bikes but you cant test them and I assume 150mm Travel is way overkill for what I do?

Budget around £1300 or cheaper, could stretch a bit more for FS.

Thanks!

Comments

• Whyte 901 is a great bike and has quite a slack head angle... I very nearly got one instead of my boardman
  • Go full suss, look at canyon nerve, or a boardman fs,or cube ams and a Giant anthem.

If you really want a hardtail go with the whyte or a ragley?
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • I quite like the ragley and whyte, only problem is if I'm forking that amount of cash out I would prefer shimano shifters/transmission.

Is it difficult on climbs with 150mm of travel?
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    150mm is too much for you IMO, i race DH with 120mm (but that is unusual), i would personally stick with a HT although i ride FS, as has been said whyte ragley or even cotic are all good, not buying a good bike because it runs sram is dumb, as sram isnt that bad
  • I quite like the ragley and whyte, only problem is if I'm forking that amount of cash out I would prefer shimano shifters/transmission.

Crc have the ragley on discount upgrade to shimano with the rest of your budget
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ragley-marley-hardtail-bike/rp-prod82217
    Extra 10% off at crc just now with discount code to add to basket then bike is £787 :wink:
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • Cqc wrote:
    150mm is too much for you IMO, i race DH with 120mm (but that is unusual), i would personally stick with a HT although i ride FS, as has been said whyte ragley or even cotic are all good, not buying a good bike because it runs sram is dumb, as sram isnt that bad

I dont think its bad at all, I just dont like the whole push/push on the shifters. but then again im sure that is just getting used to it.

The ragley seems good value on CRC, would 140mm be too much or a bit of a pig climbing?
  • My m8 has a Ragley and really likes it, he has had it about 4 weeks now, got it from crc no problems so far, although like you he prefers shimano shifters, climbing has been good, not quite as fast as my carbon hardtail up hill, copes well with xc routes, and has been to glentress and carron valley so far with no problems
    How much for that!!!!!
  • I am tempted by that, I am also tempted by a canyon nerver 7/8!!

Decisions...
  • I have a canyon spectral on order, 5 weeks till it comes now, ordered in Nov.
    i love my Cube hardtail, but it was time to get a fs, I know u don't like ur cube hardtail, but if it was my money I would keep that and get a fs bike, the canyon nerve gets a good write up and would make a great xc & trail centre bike, if it was my money that's what I would go for, hard to beat value wise, boardmans good as well though, both we're tested in one of the mtb mags recently.
    How much for that!!!!!
  • At the moment I am slightly leaning towards the marley as its cheaper mainly, and the thought that I can ride it anywhere really, whereas I keep thinking the full suss would just be a trail bike or am I wrong?

Any other thoughts guys?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I ride a 160mm travel nomad everywhere. it is tougher to climb than my old hardtail, but it's not tough to climb. if that makes sense? :lol:
  • More travel = better :P

I'm old and its comfy and its not hard to pedal up at all and my bike is a barge almost! depends on what your priorities are in ride charachteristics, don't define a bike by its travel more on how it rides.
  • More travel = better :P

I'm old and its comfy and its not hard to pedal up at all and my bike is a barge almost! depends on what your priorities are in ride charachteristics, don't define a bike by its travel more on how it rides.

Yeah does make sense, so many options I don't know what to do!

I kinda want the slack head angle hardtail as it seems great fun and confident

but the comfort of the FS sounds nice and means I could just plow through stuff!

the nerve is also lighter than the marley, still I dont know haha!
  • welshkev
    More travel = better :P

but the comfort of the FS sounds nice and means I could just plow through stuff!

you'll never get the 'perfect' bike I don't think. I went from a long travel hardtail to the nomad. I loved the hardtail, but I like the comfort of the nomad. sometimes I wish I still had the cove, but the nomad is one hell of a bike.

maybe buy 2 bikes? :wink::lol:
  • welshkev wrote:
    More travel = better :P

you'll never get the 'perfect' bike I don't think. I went from a long travel hardtail to the nomad. I loved the hardtail, but I like the comfort of the nomad. sometimes I wish I still had the cove, but the nomad is one hell of a bike.

maybe buy 2 bikes? :wink::lol:

Hmm maybe!!

The Ragley is available now :D ...Canyon means I have to wait... :roll:
  • On One 45650b. http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOO45650B ... -272422877

It'll be a brilliant ride, its got a decent fork and all of the finishing kit is solid. Plus with Deore transmission it'll last. I've got the 456 summer season and its a laugh, although a bit of a handful on the climbs. This has got revised geometry which should make it a better all-rounder, plus its 650b so you'll be bang on trend (or not depending on how bothered you are by wheel size, which I wouldn't be too concerned about).
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • welshkev
    has anyone recommended the bird bikes to you yet? I think a certain forum member on here has something to do with them:

http://www.birdmtb.co.uk/
  • punkatron1 wrote:
    On One 45650b. http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOO45650B ... -272422877

It'll be a brilliant ride, its got a decent fork and all of the finishing kit is solid. Plus with Deore transmission it'll last. I've got the 456 summer season and its a laugh, although a bit of a handful on the climbs. This has got revised geometry which should make it a better all-rounder, plus its 650b so you'll be bang on trend (or not depending on how bothered you are by wheel size, which I wouldn't be too concerned about).

Yeah I did look at the 456, I know steel is more forgiving but obviously heavier, its still an option.
    welshkev wrote:
    has anyone recommended the bird bikes to you yet? I think a certain forum member on here has something to do with them:

Had a quick look, no pics though? Could be an interesting one to try. Doesnt look like they are available yet though.
  • welshkev
    [
    welshkev wrote:

Had a quick look, no pics though? Could be an interesting one to try. Doesnt look like they are available yet though.

oh yeah. there is on their facebook page though if you look there. they're nice looking bikes
  • welshkev wrote:
    [
    welshkev wrote:

oh yeah. there is on their facebook page though if you look there. they're nice looking bikes

Just saw a few on their twitter, very nice looking. I don't want to wait till spring/autumn :(
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Vid of one being ridden recently. Pay particular attention at 1.17.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153812926860296

I know the guys well, and they can actually ride pretty well. Plenty of testing has been done by random locals as well and all has been positive.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Couple more
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/350039/

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/348816/

Can't see much of the bike, but it does what it says on the tin.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • If you can get them to give me an early release bike, I will take it. :lol:
  • I think they are open to demos if you contact them and can get their way. I am hoping to have a try when next in the UK on one of their hard tails.
    Although my wife may just lose it if I bring another bike back from a business trip. She has already asked whether I am planning to open a bike hire business!
  • They look good, but dont think I will travelling 200miles to go and test one to be honest!

I think I am going to stick with getting a hardtail for now. I would like a FS, but I can save up and get one another time. Canyon aren't going anywhere.

With that said, I fully expect someone to come into the thread and give me another recommendation to buy one! 8)
  • I've decided to go for the ragley marley, seems like a nice simple bike. SRAM might take a little getting used to but sure it will be fine. Will put some pics up when I get it. :mrgreen:
  • Little update...This arrived yesterday :mrgreen:

12540157285_145cc22286_c.jpg
    12540656114_82f710c34f_c.jpg
    12540122585_513699836e_c.jpg

Only bad thing is the elixers feel like s***, a lot worse than my Shimano 446's but I have got some new Deore brakes to go on, but will leave them for a bit as I just want to get out on it!

Impressed by CRC service as well, gave me a little carry sack with a few goodies, set of allen keys, multi tool, bike wrench, 6 packs energy tabs and a water bottle 8)

Will get some better pics tomorrow!