So I'm in London tomorrow

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
Arriving at 10:30 ish and my meeting isn't until 12:00.

I'm going to be in Victoria St at that time, so where is the best place to watch the madness on the roads in the area? :D

I might even take my helmet cam and hand hold it to film some of the lunacy. :lol:
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Parliament Square maybe.....?

Be careful you don't get too caught up in the madness and miss your meeting.....
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I'm going to be in Victoria St at that time, so where is the best place to watch the madness on the roads in the area? :D
    There used to be a guy in the middle of the junction with Bressenden Place with a loudhailer. That was a few years back, mind you, he's probably been sectioned by now....
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Victoria Street you say.... I might ride up and down and see if I can spot KB...

my office is one road over.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rubertoe wrote:
    Victoria Street you say.... I might ride up and down and see if I can spot KB...

my office is one road over.

Checks to see if I've left any incriminating photos anywhere... Although I'll be easy enough to spot. I'll be the one being polite to people :P
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,357
    You can't miss him. He'll be the one with the cape and the wild eyed stare being arrested for trying to 'help' young ladies.

ETA. I was going to say he'd be the one getting funny looks for talking to strangers but he kind of implied this with his post above.
  • If is briefly dry take a Boris bike for a spin though they are quite fun, though the bike is rubbish, brakes are terrifying!

There are some quieter roads around there, and ones you do need to exercise care.

Actually I found being loud and positive but polite stops tourist from just stepping out. If only because you confuse them!
  • I'm not cycling on the roads! I'd be killed to death as soon as I step out. Probably run down by some mad sod who'll report back on here about scalping some yokel on a BB
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    You can't miss him. He'll be the one with the cape and the wild eyed stare being arrested for trying to 'help' young ladies.

ETA. I was going to say he'd be the one getting funny looks for talking to strangers but he kind of implied this with his post above.

When I'm working in London It's fairly clear I 'm looking after someone and therefore "safe" oddly I get mostly young women initiating conversation sometimes for directions/assistance can you help me with the pushchair etc or just a chat sometimes.

Blokes tend to be baffled by whome I'm with so spend the time re reading the instructions of well anything!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'll be around there at about that sort of time. Let me know if you want to put a face to a name (really' it is so that I can put a funny accent to a face).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'll be around there at about that sort of time. Let me know if you want to put a face to a name (really' it is so that I can put a funny accent to a face).

Long black coat, black and grey laptop rucksack and grey pinstripe suit. 71 Vic St. Wear a flower :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • veronese68
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'll be around there at about that sort of time. Let me know if you want to put a face to a name (really' it is so that I can put a funny accent to a pair of seals).
    FTFY
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,799
    Capita?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Upstairs of the Morpeth which over looks the main SCR drag strip
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Capita?

Yup. They only allow us at the Corp Headquarters under suffrance :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Capita?

Ah, so what's it like running the Country? :wink:
  • Capita?

If it makes you feel any better... the original Congestion Charging server infrastructure? :twisted:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Capita?

If it makes you feel any better... the original Congestion Charging server infrastructure? :twisted:

Well that's not so bad! :D
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm in London tomorrow and have the whole day. Can anyone recommend something cultural? Disappointed to see that Veronese exhibition at the National isn't until next month.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,752
    Paul Klee at Tate Modern is good, and they have a good selection if ales in the restaurant overlooking the river.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Tate Britain is also worth a wander - and has the added advantage of only being a very short hop to the Morpeth.

St James Theatre have started doing short lunchtime plays (1pm for an hour) which can be fun although the current one is Valentine's related so perhaps not. Soho Theatre also often has short things on in the afternoons.
  • itboffin
    oh and you do know its SCR law that any visiting "players" have to buy me a beer and listen to my endless tales of how i pwned Greg66 in the alps .... :twisted:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'm in London tomorrow and have the whole day. Can anyone recommend something cultural? Disappointed to see that Veronese exhibition at the National isn't until next month.
    :shock: I am not an exhibitionist.
    I want to see the Vikings at the British Museum but that's not until next month either
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    itboffin wrote:
    oh and you do know its SCR law that any visiting "players" have to buy me a beer and listen to my endless creaking of bones

FTFY :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    KB, PM sent.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    redvee wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    oh and you do know its SCR law that any visiting "players" have to buy me a beer and listen to my endless creaking of bones

FTFY :lol:

Yes more likely
  • asprilla
    rjsterry wrote:
    Paul Klee at Tate Modern is good, and they have a good selection if ales in the restaurant overlooking the river.

Top tip; it was excellent.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,752
    Asprilla wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Top tip; it was excellent.

You're very welcome.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • asprilla
    Lunch at Murano wasn't too bad either.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Did anyone get him? Umbrella through the spokes, gentle nudge into that river of yours etc? Just wondering like.

:)
  • CiB wrote:
    Did anyone get him? Umbrella through the spokes, gentle nudge into that river of yours etc? Just wondering like.

:)

Didn't make it :( That chest thing completely laid me up. I got as far as the train station and when I realised I could barely walk for the pain I figured it was not a wise move. Don't know what I've got but when the Doctor pressed on my ribs yesterday it didn't hurt, now it's flaming agony.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X