Quill stem adaptor advice please - 1"-1 1/18"

Ringpeace
Ringpeace Posts: 105
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Hi guys,

am new here. Long term lurker but joined as I need some advice on changing an old 80's quill stem to a new one.

Apologies if this isn't the right place. Had a look in workshop but seems like there hasn't been much activity in there for a while.

Have picked up an old bike that I want to rebuild. Was going to make do with the stem and perhaps change the bars. Unfortunately they are 26.2 and seem to be expensive and hard to get hold of.

Thought I might as well get a "quill adapter" - is that the right name? And just change it to accept more modern stems.

Any advice or recommendations and is this straight forward?

Apologies for all the questions and if I am in the wrong sub forum - is that what they are called?

New to Bike Radar and forums in general.

Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Ringpeace.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    öoads of posts in the Workshop.

sure you can get a quill to ahead adaptor but you will need to check what size of quill you need. it will be stamped on it which you will see when you take it out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    öoads of posts in the Workshop.

sure you can get a quill to ahead adaptor but you will need to check what size of quill you need. it will be stamped on it which you will see when you take it out.

Thanks - probably looking in the wrong workshop board. Looked at the road one and looked like there hadn't been any activity since last month.

Should I repost in the right board? Or can you point me in the right direction of the info i'm needing?

Thanks

Ringpeace.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If the bike takes a quill-stem then chances are it needs a 22.2mm ahead stem to fit inside a 1" fork steerer. 1.125" quill stems are pretty unusual, as manufacturers switched to aheadset when the larger steerer size was adopted:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-quill-stem ... 5360422709
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    If the bike takes a quill-stem then chances are it needs a 22.2mm ahead stem to fit inside a 1" fork steerer. 1.125" quill stems are pretty unusual, as manufacturers switched to aheadset when the larger steerer size was adopted:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-quill-stem ... 5360422709

Thanks for the advice. Had seen that didn't know.

Worth doing?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Kona used 1 1/8" quill stems on some of their bikes before they switched to the Ahead system.

Here is another adaptor http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bran ... p-prod6254
  • Simmo72
    Simmo72 Posts: 262
    I bought one from Ribble, and as above I think Wiggle also sell.

they do work very well, you can fit yourself in second, not very pretty but not terrible. The only think I would say is they are heavy, I notice the extra weight on the front of the bike but its ok.