Switching Brake hoses

Cogsy1976
Cogsy1976 Posts: 143
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All, recently bought a Cube Attention but it has the front & rear brakes around the wrong way, can I just undo the hose and switch over or is it not as simple as that?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just that simple but you might need to bleed after.

Be aware some brakes can be used either side so no playing with changing hoses.

What brakes?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Well basically the Cube came with Shimano BR's but I had Deores on my Genesis so I swapped the Deore onto the Cube and the Br's onto the Genesis.

Wasnt til I put them on I realised that they were the wrong way around lol but just wanted to make sure I could undo the hose where it inserts into the lever and then then just swap over.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    easy to switch - best to use a new olive though. I bled mine after I shortened the hose and a small amount of air came out of the brake lever
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You shouldn't need to use new olives.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The Rookie wrote:
    You shouldn't need to use new olives.......

do you just argue for the sake of it - the old olives will be deformed so you get the risk of a poor join in the lever. since olives are cheap why the hell would you risk it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not at all, I'm being sensible they will be slightly deformed, that doesn't necessarily stop them sealing on what should be the same shaped surface in the other lever, but cutting them off you either shorten the hose or risk damaging it, if it leaks by all means change, but if it doesn't then there is (was?) no need to.

No once else suggested, so it could be send you are arguing with the implied 'no need to change'?

I've swapped mine around a few times with different levers, same olive, no leaks.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.