New bike, question about... pedalling

Juddlinski
Juddlinski Posts: 54
edited February 2014 in Road beginners
I was out with my new road bike yesterday (nowt fancy, specialized secteur X3) and noticed a difference to the way it pedals than my last hybrid bike.

In my last bike I could freewheel, perhaps even pedal backwards (not that I ever did) and I'd be able to pick up the strain straight away as soon as I started pedalling again.

With my new bike, when I free wheel, and I go to start pedalling again, it takes a half turn or turn before I actually connect and start pedalling again.

This is a little bit annoying when I stop at junctions as I need to concentrate to get my pedals in the right position for take off. In my old bike this wasn't an issue.

I hope I've described this clearly enough. So my question is basically:

Is it supposed to be like this? Or is it something to do with it being a new bike that I'll need to get looked at?

Your advice would be much appreciated. And yes, I'll try and free-wheel less in the meantime :wink:

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Look at the chain when you stop pedalling - it shouldn't be slack (it won't be tight either) ...

3 possibles to check out
    a) the freehub on the rear wheel is stiff - check this by backpedalling when you're standing next to the bike. If it doesn't then remove the wheel and try turning the cassette anti-clockwise.
    b) the derailleur isn't aligned properly - if it's "off" a gear then the chain will jam between that and the cassette - the gears just need tuning
    c) if you're leaning the bike over to the right whilst back pedalling the chain can "fall down" the cassette - this is only really an issue if you're leaning the bike over and back pedalling so I guess it's not this one.
  • Thanks Slowbike.

So..if it's a), then do I need a special tool to turn the cassette anti-clockwise or is it pretty easy to do it??
  • i'd take it back to the shop. sounds like the pawls are not picking up properly. it may only be a matter of time before it stops working.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • i'd take it back to the shop. sounds like the pawls are not picking up properly. it may only be a matter of time before it stops working.

This. Had it a couple of weekends ago while my good bike was out of service and I was on my knackered old hybrid. Gradually got worse until I could spin the pedals 10 times or so before it engaged. I rode the 10 miles home trying not to freewheel at all, harder than you'd think (unless you ride a fixie).
  • shmooster wrote:
    i'd take it back to the shop. sounds like the pawls are not picking up properly. it may only be a matter of time before it stops working.

This. Had it a couple of weekends ago while my good bike was out of service and I was on my knackered old hybrid. Gradually got worse until I could spin the pedals 10 times or so before it engaged. I rode the 10 miles home trying not to freewheel at all, harder than you'd think (unless you ride a fixie).

Thanks guys. I'm always pleasently surprised when I come on here, ask what I'm pretty sure might just be a stupid question and get great advice from people who have been through the same thing... :lol:
  • That's not normal at all. You should be able to start pedalling and have it pick up immediately. Take back to the shop!