The wrong clothes

capt_slog
capt_slog Posts: 3,946
edited February 2014 in The cake stop
I was watching Jenny Jones get her bronze medal in the Snowboarding/Slopestyle final on Saturday and was wondering why they dress like this...

ALeqM5hXkySJFKYPTDQxiD5B66MlhDIf4w?size=s3

whereas downhill skiers dress like this .....
949893-15634612-640-360.jpg

It seems to be a fashion thing, because it's certainly 'form over function'. One lass I noticed had to reach down mid-jump to pull up her trousers (bring on the double entendres :roll: ), and I can't help but think they'd find their sport a whole lot easier if they had clothes that fit and weren't in the way so much.

The older I get, the better I was.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Indeed! Apparently the style in Slopestyle refers to looking like you are wearing a 1980s shellsuit.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    Skiing = Road cycling.
    Snowboards = Mountain biking.

It is purely a style choice as tighter fitting would obviously be more aerodynamic. Making it a strange choice.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    anyone read the rules?

skin suits were banned in DH MTB not that they wanted people to go slower but it looked well ..............
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    They mentioned this on BBC coverage - apparently it's because the skin suits restrict movement too much ...

really?!

I don't think the aerodynamics matter so much - they're not after all out speed in slopestyle ...
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    simple
    downhill is timed - any aero advantage
    Slopestyle is not timed technical style marks only
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Watching a British athlete get a Winter Olympic medal, and wondering why they wear certain clothes, rather than how they actually got good enough to win it in the first place, seems a bit odd to me! :roll:
    Well done Jenny Jones. :wink:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    nicklouse wrote:
    anyone read the rules?

skin suits were banned in DH MTB not that they wanted people to go slower but it looked well ..............
    Is that true?
    Precious lot aren't they?
    simple
    downhill is timed - any aero advantage
    Slopestyle is not timed technical style marks only
    Then it is subjective.
    And a style fail IMHO.
    And I used to snowboard back in the day. Not in tight lycra I must say, but not in baggies either.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I went to TKMaxx to buy some ski trousers for my sisters bday party (Apres Ski Theme...yep, I know) as I'm not risking ruining my nice ones

I couldnt find any that werent insanely baggy. The ones I ve gone for could be used to make 2 or 3 normal pairs I swear...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pituophis
    Why would a snowboarder be even remotely interested in the opinion of cyclists on anything, let alone how they dress?
    They're probably glad you don't like it :roll:
    Boring old farts (I'm an old fart too, but not quite so blinkered :wink: )
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Blinkered old farts^^^ wrong trousers...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think the science behind the dress code is obvious, just look how glum the DH rider looks compared to the joyous smile of the freestyler. In fact the DH rider reminds me of the roadie I overtook just yesterday...it was in freezing heavy rain but surely, like me, he was happy just to be out?? :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Just for some background. The trend started becasue companies obviouslt wanted their sponsered athletes to be wearing their newest clothes in the videos/films (not at the olympics obviously). However, usually they only make Samples in Size S or XL. That measn that all the skinny girls were wearing size S mens t-shirts and all the men bigger than Small had to wear stuff 3-4 sizes too big for them.

Punters started to copy that so Brands started to make all sizes baggier to follow the trend. except that now the XL size was designed to be baggy on a X-large man but was being worn by a Medium guy

and round and round it went...

In comparison, DH MTBing made the decision based on fashion and the wishes of riders/sponsors as it's a new sport that needs to be sold as an "extreme" lifestyle sport
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    1000x63510.jpg

see? wrong clothes. :roll: :lol:

The older I get, the better I was.

• rolf_f
    Pituophis wrote:
    Why would a snowboarder be even remotely interested in the opinion of cyclists on anything, let alone how they dress?

And why would the inhabitants of Cake Stop be remotely interested in whether or not a snowboarder is interested in our opinions of how a snowboarder dresses? :wink:
  • Pituophis
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:

And why would the inhabitants of Cake Stop be remotely interested in whether or not a snowboarder is interested in our opinions of how a snowboarder dresses? :wink:

I'm an "ex" snowboarder, I thought you might have got that :roll: :D
  • rolf_f
    Pituophis wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:

I'm an "ex" snowboarder, I thought you might have got that :roll: :D

Too subtle I'm afraid. Still, you gave a very good answer to your own question even though it wasn't the answer you were thinking of. :wink: