Rear cassette

pmcclure
pmcclure Posts: 36
edited February 2014 in Workshop
Have a 2013 Trek madone 5.2 fitted with a 10 speed 11-28 105 cassette. I've noticed that the 2014 model comes in 11 speed ultegra 11-28 cassette. Would like to upgrade to the 11-32 (which I can't get in 105) to give me a better climbing ratio. Is this possible?

Thanks

Peter

Comments

• Have just realised that I'd have to change the levers as well so I think that's a no.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You should be able to source a 10 speed cassette that goes as low as 32. If Shimano don't do one then SRAM do and that will fit. But you will need a new rear medium cage mech assuming that your current mech is a short cage. But that's much cheaper than new levers.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    You have a couple of options (or maybe more if you dig around) if you want to stick with your 10-speed shifters.

Firstly you could consider a Tiagra 12-30 cassette

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... lsrc=aw.ds

- I know it's not the 32 tooth cog you specify but it has the advantage that the gaps between gears are still reasonable so you wont be struggling with cadence issues.

Alternative is to look at a MTB cassette such as:-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... lsrc=aw.ds

This gives you the 32 tooth cog but there are some biggish jumps between gears across the cassette that might not be very comfortable to cope with.

Don't forget that you may have to swap to a medium cage rear mech to accomodate the chain tension needed for your 32 cog
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Just an added comment to my post above.

If you go with the Tiagra 12-30 option you will be able to get away with keeping your short cage rear mech (which is almost certainly what is on your Madone at the moment).

I've fitted 12-30 cassettes to a couple of bikes (both with compact chainsets) and there was no issues with the short cage mechs on either. Just make sure that you get the chain length correct to accomodate the larger cog.

See:- http://www.epicidiot.com/sports/chain_l ... ulator.htm
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I don't think the Shimano MTB 10-speed kit is compatible with road 10-speed.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    If you are going to try the CS-4600 12-30T with your SS cage RD, don't forget to screw the B tension screw in a few turns before you try to shift into the 30T, otherwise you will have an overlap between the top guide pulley and the 30T sprocket resulting in a transmission jam.
  • I've fitted a 10sp xt 11-32 cassette to my cyclocross running 105 levers and mech and it all works fine :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I've fitted a 10sp xt 11-32 cassette to my cyclocross running 105 levers and mech and it all works fine :)
    But that doesn't run a short cage rear mech :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • SRAM do a 12-32 cassette that is shimano 10 speed road compatible. I have this cassette on two sets of wheels for my audax bike, which runs Ultegra 6700 10 speed shifters. If you need a 32 sprocket the is a good chance that you don't need an 11 tooth sprocket.

Shimano also do an Ultegra 12-30 10 speed cassette. I have this one on two sets of wheels on my 6700 equipped race bike with a compact double chainset.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Thanks everyone for all the replies. Will go for the Ultegra 12-30 10 speed cassette.
  • I have a Shimano 105 rear mech and a Shimano Dyna-Sys Deore XT 10 Speed 11-34 cassette. Works perfectly.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    I've fitted a 10sp xt 11-32 cassette to my cyclocross running 105 levers and mech and it all works fine :)
    But that doesn't run a short cage rear mech :wink:

I doubt it would run a 34t as advertised in the 5701GS, that said I don't see any markings saying SS or GS on my mech