650b hardtail under £1600....

KevChallis
KevChallis Posts: 646
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
I have used the search bar and can't find anything specific to this, hence the topic, hopefully I haven't missed it and I'm not going to get an ear bashing lol...

I have been given a budget by the wife (yeah I said that!!) of £1600 for a new bike, originally I was going to get a FS, but I think really, I should hone my skills in with a ht first, this bike will have to be the right one, as it will be with me for 3 or 4 years.

I am looking at 650b as having ridden my mates boardman comp, the wheel size felt a lot better than another friends 29er.

My question is what bikes are available, or what should I be looking at, I know the obvious choice is the Whyte 905

http://www.formbycycles.co.uk/whyte-905-hardtail-mountain-bike.html?SID=aueptfgf90mh6tilm5ihuin7a6

Or an orange crush

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/13370/orange-crush-275-hardtail-mountain-bike-2014

What others are there I should be looking at?

Riding wise, it will be trail centres, and a few bike parks, any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Kev
PlanetX Pro Carbon
Voodoo Bizango

Comments

• As a n00b that moved to full suss lately, if you have £1600 to spend, skip the HT and go right to a Full Suss. You'll save money in the long run and your skills will catch up to the bike and you'll fill in rather than spend £1600 now and £1600 later.

If you are hell bent on a HT then I'm biased towards the cubes. My bike last year was a LTD Pro. Awesome bike for £1000. Or you can go for a Cube Reaction for around £1600...think it's carbon at that price as well.

If I had £1600 to spend on my first bike 3 years ago, I would have gone full suss!

I feel like a paulscycles shill but I was eyeing up their deals for months as they're pretty good!

http://paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p5187/CA ... YLL-3-2013

This'll keep you busy for years. It's not a 650b but having owned 2 650b bikes...I can't really tell them apart from a 26er really...
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I'd rather have full suss, but if someone gave me £1600 and said I had to buy a 650b hardtail or they'd tweak my nipples really hard, then it would be the Whyte 905.
  • Kowalski675
    kammybear wrote:
    http://paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p5187/CANNONDALE-JEKYLL-3-2013

This'll keep you busy for years. It's not a 650b but having owned 2 650b bikes...I can't really tell them apart from a 26er really...

My LBS aren't gonna sell the one they've got stuck to their showroom floor to anyone that's seen the price on that link.
  • Exactly.

It's a pretty good deal. I'm happy with what I've got but my original plan was to get that bike. OP, take a look at that, then look at the bikes you've linked to. The Cannondale murders them. If you want a hardtail, just lock out the rear :-p
  • I am not hell bent on hard tail, just thought that is the best place to learn properly before adding the rear sus in.

I couldn't quite believe when she said it was ok either, I had to get it in writing and get her to sign it haha
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    edited February 2014
    I a, still pretty new, what makes the Jekyll so good?

I was wanting a 650b ht though, unless there are any serious competitors in the fs world lol
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • It's good to have an open mind!

You see that start date on my profile? I've bought 3 hardtails since then and wish i'd just got a full suss now. The bug will bite. Last thing you want to do is spend £1600 on a HT and then see everyone else down Cannock on their full suss monsters and then try getting another £1600 card from the wifey :lol:

Check out some reviews of that Jekyll. The only thing they fault it for is the fox 32 forks as being "flexy". My new bike has them and they seem fine! Just remember, we're n00bies and humans :lol:

Another bike I like the look of is the Cube Sting at £1400 but can't seem to find the 650b listed anywhere anymore unless its the ladies!

Stay away from 29ers though...IMO they're gash, had one for a year :x
  • KevChallis wrote:
    I a, still pretty new, what makes the Jekyll o good?

1. Frame is very good
    2. 150mm travel that you can switch to 90mm for going uphill easier. Bit of a gimmick, no one really bothers.
    3. Decent brand
    4. Components are pretty good as well. SLX/XT while the Whyte and Orange have a lot of basic deore parts.
    5. Brakes are pretty good as well? (I prefer shimano)
    6. Looks awesome
    7. Jekyll is a very well respected bike...that was used to retail for over 3k last year and now is within your budget...2013 was only 2 months :P
  • Kowalski675
    kammybear wrote:
    Exactly.

It's a pretty good deal. I'm happy with what I've got but my original plan was to get that bike.

I like the 2013 Trance X2 they have on there now - looked at one of those at my LBS and wanted it when I bought my Boardman, but didn't want to stretch to £1800.
  • For personal reasons unrelated to the quality of bikes, I will forever hate Giant bikes with a vengeance.
  • Kowalski675
    kammybear wrote:
    For personal reasons unrelated to the quality of bikes, I will forever hate Giant bikes with a vengeance.

Why's that?
  • Someone I hate very very much rides a Trance....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Seriously?
    Diddums.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Although to be fair I hate most Audi drivers, and I wouldn't drive one because then people would know I was a d1ck, instead of just suspecting it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Can we get back to my question? Not being rude lol, just interested in people's views :)
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Honing skills on a hardtail is a bit daft. Why not hone your skills on a rigid, or a unicycle.

Jekyll looks good for the cash, or look at Canyons or Radons.
  • KevChallis wrote:
    Can we get back to my question? Not being rude lol, just interested in people's views :)

I think that Cannondale has killed another what bike topic! I surprised they still have it in stock considering the amount of times its been posted her in the last 2 months :lol:

Canyon will get you most value for money in terms of bang up to date top notch components. Downside being a long wait for the bike and not being able to sit on one first.

Another option is the Scott Genius LT40 also at pauls cycles. Bit older than the cannondale but is a very awesome bike with 180mm travel front and rear! I nearly bought one last year but (un)luckily failed the credit check :lol:
  • That's another 26er and I don't think I need 180mm travel lol
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    kammybear wrote:
    KevChallis wrote:
    I a, still pretty new, what makes the Jekyll o good?

1. Frame is very good
    2. 150mm travel that you can switch to 90mm for going uphill easier. Bit of a gimmick, no one really bothers.
    3. Decent brand
    4. Components are pretty good as well. SLX/XT while the Whyte and Orange have a lot of basic deore parts.
    5. Brakes are pretty good as well? (I prefer shimano)
    6. Looks awesome
    7. Jekyll is a very well respected bike...that was used to retail for over 3k last year and now is within your budget...2013 was only 2 months :P

1, Frame also has lifetime warranty.
    2, i use the travel adjust as its right by the shifter its quick to use. but then again there are no real hard trails near me. if i lived somewhere there was i probably wouldn't use it to much.
    5, my only qualm with the brakes are the leavers feel a little plasticy to the touch. not a problem for me i usually wear gloves.
    7, its the same exact bike as the 2014 model
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • The Jeckyll is a bit of a bruiser though at over 30lb.

The Nerve AM+ is just beats the Jeckyll at pretty much every component and is near as makes no difference the same price.
    https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... ab-reiter2

or the Nerve AL 7 - 650b wheels, under budget and still a better spec than the Jeckyll. Only 120mm suspension though.
    https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... ab-reiter2

Rose Bikes are worth a look too.
  • Yeah, I have been looking at canyon, only problem is sizing, I have no idea what size I would need, plus the wait for them is AGES lol
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • The Nerve AM is pretty good value! I'd be more tempted by the Spectral though as it's a newer frame!