Sod's law

smoggysteve
smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
edited February 2014 in The cake stop
Today was dry, albeit windy so after alot of deliberation I decide to take out the summer bike. After about 20km I here a clicking noise and bang my chain snaps. Not a problem, I have my chain tool and a missing link in my jersey pocket. Where did my chain go? that will be down the bloody gutter drain! I generally keep away from them but I had to get closer to one at a pinch point just as the chain snaps.

Anyone else had such terrible luck while out on a ride? Not talking about accidents or hitting potholes, just unbelievable bad luck at the worst possible moment.

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Indeed .. I suppose the equivalent of dropping your car keys down the drain. So did you get the drain cover off and your hands dirty, or phone for backup?
  • Here in the UK that would never happen. Our drains are so blocked with crud, nothing goes down them. Certainly not the water, anyway.

Apart from the "three punctures in five miles" obligatory roadie storie, nothing as shi*e as that. Bad luck, chap.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Indeed .. I suppose the equivalent of dropping your car keys down the drain. So did you get the drain cover off and your hands dirty, or phone for backup?

Was a phone call to a very p1ssed off wife. no chance of getting the cover off. even if I could it was too dangerous with traffic passing by. 1×new kmc chain on order now.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Mikey23 wrote:

Was a phone call to a very p1ssed off wife. no chance of getting the cover off. even if I could it was too dangerous with traffic passing by. 1×new kmc chain on order now.

We've all had to make 'that call' at one point or another.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Over here there would be a national outrage and the council would be sued for not putting up warning signs. Prime minister and prominent royalty figure would come along with a media scrum, look solemn and sympathetic and promise that this thing could never, ever happen again in our lifetime and that millions would be diverted from the national purse from the hospital and education budget to seal up all drains everywhere. And someone would be called upon to resign...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mikey23 wrote:

You mean you don't carry the Park PD-4A drain and manhole lifting jemmy in your jersey pocket? And you expect sympathy?! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......