emergency surgery required

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited February 2014 in Commuting general
No commute for me for a few days.
Did a three hour ride with a constant creaking noise accompanying me around the very windy North yorks moors.
On my last little climb home the pedals started to feel as though they were falling of (another mile or to and they may well have done).
Looks as though the bottom bracket has gone.
This is to add to the (recommended last week by my LBS), front chain rings,chain, cassette and possibly the rear derailleur.
Granted the bike is out every day rain and shine and has possibly covered around 6-7000 miles so it may well be in need of a little investment.
I will have to get the running shoes back on!!
regards
ILG

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    oxoman wrote:
    If its done that many miles might be worth replacing perhaps.

No. 6-7000 miles isn't very much in terms of bicycle lifespan. A bit of TLC will work wonders.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Mines done about the same in just over a year. Had to replace three tyres (one due to turbo use), rear brake blocks, two chains and one cable. Will probably do rear cassette with next chain using 3/1 principle otherwise all good...
  • Took it to the bike surgery shop today , a few hmms and aghhhs ,are you keeping it etc, "the worst case of bottom bracket damage i have seen " .
    Do you know I love the LBS shop craic, (brings tears to my eyes when the start toting up the bill mind) but as I say the craic is good.
    So ring them later and find out what the damage is.
    Out of intrest say it is around £150 plus , on a bike that cost me £650, when do you bin it and buy new?
    regards
    ILG
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Replacing it with a used similar bike would cost about £300 (guestimate), add in say £100 to bring it to standard, so as long as you are spending less than about £300-400, it's worth doing......

Of course it is MUCH cheaper to DIY!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Replacing it with a used similar bike would cost about £300 (guestimate), add in say £100 to bring it to standard, so as long as you are spending less than about £300-400, it's worth doing......

Of course it is MUCH cheaper to DIY!
    £185 Told the LBS to get on with it , should be ready to ride home tonight.
    regards
    ILG
  • Rolf F wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    If its done that many miles might be worth replacing perhaps.

No. 6-7000 miles isn't very much in terms of bicycle lifespan. A bit of TLC will work wonders.

My roadie/SS has done 5k I think, and it's very much the new bike, did need a new drive chain recently well chain/freewheel/chainring....
  • You can get a lot of miles out of a bike itself, my lovely Ridley Damocles is 6+ years and going strong. Overhauling the parts, well that's a different matter depending on conditions. £185 is a good price if you had all those parts fitted plus labour. The bike will feel great after that and you can ride it with the knowledge that it has had someone look over it.

Nothing worse than having failing parts on a bike.
  • damocles10 wrote:
    You can get a lot of miles out of a bike itself, my lovely Ridley Damocles is 6+ years and going strong. Overhauling the parts, well that's a different matter depending on conditions. £185 is a good price if you had all those parts fitted plus labour. The bike will feel great after that and you can ride it with the knowledge that it has had someone look over it.

Nothing worse than having failing parts on a bike.
    Latest update .
    Front mech and rear deralier required, now £227.
    regards
    ILG
  • ekk.....but still rest assured they should last for a while.