Square taper cranksets?

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I need to buy a crankset for my rat bike but it HAS to fit a square taper for a reason which I'll explain. The previous bottom bracket I owned was as old as myself and was so tired that when I removed it, it took the thread from the frame with it. I have replaced it with a cheap one but it cannot be removed for reasons that would make any mechanic cry inside.

I do have a Deore hollow-arm crank arms that have a BCD of 104mm but I don't think that will be suitable as I have to buy chainrings & bolts (about £40 to do so) and even then my largest chainring can be 48t (I don't know if that is small or tiny for a road bike).

But nevertheless, All I can see on the internet now for road bikes are cranksets with either Octalink or Hollowtech fittings. Can anyone direct me to somewhere that does 175mm with something like 53,39 around the £40-55 mark?

My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• SPA cycles will custom assemble one with the rings you want for not much money
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    SPA cycles will custom assemble one with the rings you want for not much money

Indeed. When I got a new touring triple, I had Spa supply it with the inner a Dural ring and the outer two the more expensive and longer lasting Zicral on the basis that I rarely use the inner ring so the shorter life in miles would equal the same life in time at a saving of £20! It's nice to be able to design your own crankset.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MTB noob
    I'll check both of them out.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Stronglight Impact compacts are £60 and come in 34/50T (170/175). Silver and square taper what else do you need.

Andel do a double compact as well only available currently in 170mm arms. Sugino do a variety of doubles as well but these a bit more pricey.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    FSA Vero, but may be more like £60. There are always offers at the likes of CRC.
  • MTB noob
    I have a 80s Sugino (52,40, 175mm) currently on mine and despite the clearance problem (small chainring too big) and the unique chainrings, I've never had an issue with them. The FSA and Stronglight are a bit out of my price range i think.