Removing crank help

brettjmcc
brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
edited February 2014 in Workshop
I've just picked upa frame from another forum member (many thanks btw).

I am tring to remove the cranks, which are a set of FSA SL-K Pro. It looks a similar setup to my FSA and Cannondale Si cranks, but I can't seem to budge anything. Any ideas?

12412964634_71d5d83b64_z.jpg
Untitled by Brett-GT40, on Flickr
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

Comments

• 8mm Allen key in the centre, turn counterclockwise and it will pull the crank arm off by the looks of things. It'll feel weird because it'll go loose then tight again but keep going and the crank arm will just come off
  • brettjmcc
    Thanks, I finally managed to get the outer ring off, but the pin tool kept jumping. Turns out there was corrosion causing it to bind.

Then the middle 8mm key required a liberal dose of WD40 and being very careful with a 2lb mallet against the 8mm 1/2 socket and bar came out about 5 mins ago. Why? Well on top of the rust that was binding, it had been put in with threadlock! Does anyone else do that? I never have, nor do any of the asembly guides I have seen.

Now, I can't seem to prise the two arms out. Based on the threadlock, I am hoping it hasn't been put together with say bearing fit. Any ideas from anyone? Thanks

Brett

12414930794_21f9507e21_z.jpg
    Untitled by Brett-GT40, on Flickr
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • As above, put it all back together and use the self extracting bolt. You should never need to remove the pinned cover

Or use a crank puller if you happen to have one large enough for the axle.
  • brettjmcc
    err, yes you do on this model, certainly by my viewpoint looking at this for the first time. On my other (newer) FSA cranks and my Cannondale Si you don't have to remove the ring, but on this it appears you do, as shown here at Park: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... se-systems

I'll have a go at what you say by reinstalling the bolt, but looking at it, it will just pull the cranks together
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    brettjmcc wrote:
    err, yes you do on this model, certainly by my viewpoint looking at this for the first time. On my other (newer) FSA cranks and my Cannondale Si you don't have to remove the ring, but on this it appears you do, as shown here at Park: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... se-systems

I'll have a go at what you say by reinstalling the bolt, but looking at it, it will just pull the cranks together
    Err no you don't.

Put it all back together. May be some grease would help.

As stated in the link you provided it states it uses a 27mm thread. And there are no extractors available.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • brettjmcc
    nicklouse, I am trying to take the cranks out the frame having just bought it. I have the retaining ring and bolt removed. The 27mm thread (8mm hex) is on the sindle that come through from the drive side, it then appears to be locked in place by the retaining ring which is screwed into the non drive arm.

I need to seperate the arms now, but they just seem to be be firmly stuck together. I can't see how putting the bolt and retaining ring back in will allow me to do this. Can someone explain it to me please. Thanks
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Put it all back together with some grease. And then undo the Allen bolt.

It is self extracting as you have been told from the start.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • As the 8mm bolt undoes it presses on the collar and pushes the crank off the axle
  • brettjmcc
    Ah yes, get it know! Sorry for being so thick.

A clean up of the rust/rough parts and a bit of grease and they are out. Thanks very much guys!
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon