Super record to compact

Gary Sinclair
Gary Sinclair Posts: 88
edited February 2014 in Workshop
I always ride a 53,39 as where I live that is manageable for me. I'm doing the marmotte this year and will need a compact to do it on, is there any way I can do this cheaply as I'm only going to need it for the day of the event. Can I buy something like miche chainrings and put them on?

Comments

• fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    No, 38 is the smallest ring you can get on a standard double crank. Would a 29 cassette give you a small enough gear? I did raid Pyrenean on 39-29 and it was fine for me (it's smaller than 34-25). If you really need a compact, buy or borrow a compact Chainset that's compatible with your bb (super record is ultra torque) and swap back on return.
  • No, 38 is the smallest ring you can get on a standard double crank. Would a 29 cassette give you a small enough gear? I did raid Pyrenean on 39-29 and it was fine for me (it's smaller than 34-25). If you really need a compact, buy or borrow a compact Chainset that's compatible with your bb (super record is ultra torque) and swap back on return.

The problem is that the cheapest UT chainset these days costs like a mid range bicycle... so yes, borrowing it from a mate seems the only sensible option
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Stick a 12-29 cassette on the back - will fit with all Campagnolo short-arm mechs. Campagnolo double won't go smaller than 39 tooth inner due to 135mm BCD.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    If you're patient you should be able to find a used UT chainset (Veloce or Centaur) for about £60.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Stick a 12-29 cassette on the back - will fit with all Campagnolo short-arm mechs. Campagnolo double won't go smaller than 39 tooth inner due to 135mm BCD.

He may already be assuming a 12-29 on the back!

I'd source a chainset from Ebay. If you really want to sell it on return, chances are if you do a better job of the advert you'll make your money back. All sorts of variations from Mirage to Chorus, new or second hand, tatty to mint from about £50 to £100.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Only 172.5 length but not too expensive http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/campagnolo-v ... prod20230/

If you dont scuff em up too bad you'd probably most of your money back on ebay.
  • 172.5 is good but need 11 speed.