Tubs and the present day

mattsccm
mattsccm Posts: 409
edited February 2014 in Workshop
In the grand old days of the 80's I used tubs on all my road bikes. By the turn of the century I was just riding all my old ones and ditching them when they perished. I fancy putting a set of wheels back on the road but am out of touch. Is it now the thing to use a sealant in them? What do people use.
Also any suggestions to what tubs, maybe reasonably robust yet not too pricey? something a bit better maybe than the cheapos.

Comments

• left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Conti sptrinter or sprinter gatorskin. Not too expensive but they are round and durable like you would expect from gator skins but the tub version is more comfortable and provides better grip than its clincher cousin.

Conti giros and Vittoria rallys are just horrible and puncture quickly. They are quite lumpy as well.

You do not use sealant in tubs unless it is a tufo tub. In that tread I describe what I do other describe what they do.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Surely you can use sealant in any tub that has a latex inner? The method of inserting the sealant may depend on what type of valve you have, but I'd have thought latex is latex and sealant is sealant. Certainly my Veloflex and Conti tubs seem to work with it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.